unwanted prog remnants

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

unwanted prog remnants

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi....When searching for a program to convert pdf files to Word I started to download one then changed my mind and aborted it BUT it seems some remnants have stayed behind. I have searched for it in the progs folder and using Revo uninstaller but can't locate it. Would appreciate it if someone can enlighten me as to where it might be lurking, so as to locate and delete it. Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: unwanted prog remnants

Post by HansV »

There is no folder under C:\Program Files whose name contains Babylon?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Bingo Hans... I looked in C:\Program Files and Yep there is was so I suppose it did not show in either "Add/Delete" in the Control panel or Revo Uninstaller because it was in fact not installed - only downloaded; am I right in that assumption? Seeing it is not visible in neither of the two mentioned do I simply delete it now that you have enlightened me as to where it is lurking? As ever, many thanks Hans. Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since the program hasn't been installed completely, it's most probably safe to delete the folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:... am I right in that assumption?
To be honest, I don't think it is possible to tell without knowing how far the installation had proceeded, what files had been downloaded, how you interrupted the installation, etc.
...do I simply delete it...
Again, not easy to say for the same reasons. As Hans has said, it is probably safe to delete the folder, but it may be wise to complete the installation, then run an uninstall which should remove all 'active' components, otherwise I would try moving the 'Babylon' folder to another location for a few days and see if anything complains...
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I haven't got Revo to hand but if I remember rightly you can use it in 'hunter mode', whereby you first point it at a folder and then let it scan. That might help find any left over bits and pieces.

I'm curious about how you describe this situation arose...

In your original post you said, "I started to download...and aborted" but would I be right in guessing that the option you chose when your browser asked you what to do with the file in question, run or save? was in fact 'run'? If so then you were doing more than just downloading the file, you were actually downloading it AND installing it. It also explains why you didn't know where to look for the failed 'download' because you were never asked where to save the file and why the failed attempt ended up in C:\Program Files

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents... the neurons get so crossed in my cranium at times I bamboozle myself never mind others so I have sent the folder to the "Recycle bin" and will see what happens...if anything! As for using Revo in hunter mode that is something I have never ventured to do so will see how things pan out. If as you say Ken I may have done (more than just download it) surely it would have been visible in the "Add / Remove" progs and Revo? Many thanks anyway, appreciate the comments as ever. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you chose to 'run' the file you wanted to download then your browser would have saved a copy somewhere deep in its cache and then without pausing for breath it would have automatically started to install it. Since you aborted the process before everything had finished there was nothing installed, so there is nothing to list in Add/Remove Programs or for Revo to display. There was however, some odd and ends left over that were not removed by the 'cancel' button you must have clicked to abort your action.

If you had chosen to 'save' the file you wanted to download your browser would have either dumped a copy in a default folder or asked you which folder you want to save it into. You would then have had to find the file you downloaded using My Computer / Explorer and double clicked on the file to invoke the installer.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......thanks for the info..... kinda as I thought...Regards Dave.