Your computer needs to be restarted ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Your computer needs to be restarted ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Does anyone know a way to inhibit ALL restart messages?
I haven't met one yet that truly was essential for an immediate restart, unless I was manually re-installing software with a specific need for an immediate fix.
Programs that update themselves from the web, especially those that update themselves on a schedule we control, ought to not to hold us to ransom and restart the computer when we errantly click on the OK button when our mouse automatically flies to that button when the window pops up (grrrrr!)

This pc-guru page has a tip for increasing the restart delay/interval to 1440 minutes, but I suspect this is for Windows Updates.
The image below comes courtesy of Grisoft's AVG
8.JPG
I suppose the AVG forums might have a clue to inhibit this, but then I'm on the hook for the next application.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Your computer needs to be restarted ...

Post by Argus »

I guess it would be very difficult to use some stop 'em all application.

I've never seen that with AVG, but maybe you have a different version than I do. But I have seen it restart the software when it's been updated (interface, tray etc.). Did you (it) move to another version? These are my settings:
2010-07-17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:I guess it would be very difficult to use some stop 'em all application.
I was afraid of that. (sigh!)
These are my settings:(2010-07-17.png)
Thanks for this Argus; it's the "local fix" I could have known of.
I found it in my version and will reset it, but it pains me that I can't have a policy that says "You can ask me to restart once, but No means No".
It all comes down to individual Application Designers including that checkbox "Do Not Ask Me Again" on their dialogues.
9.JPG

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:...I've never seen that with AVG, but maybe you have a different version than I do...[/attachment]
I got that with AVG today, on my Windows 7 computer.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Stuart,
On the XP machine, I have AVG 8.5; so I guess it's a new feature :grin: in version 9. Do you use AVG 9 on that Windows 7 PC?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Yup, AVG 9.0
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:I... you have a different version than I do.
9.0.839, yup.
It looks like it is an "improvement".

I fail to understand why an AV program that is capable of scheduling unattended daily updates and runs suddenly feels it needs a human to hold its hand.
AV is hit-and-miss anyway, in the sense that a brand new virus could be spawned seconds after my daily av run, and I might just wake up early and be browsing for Golf DVDs and be hit by a virus in the short interval between the next update.

At the worst, a one-time dialog suggesting that either a restart be performed OR the appropriate check-box be turned ON would be slick.

BTW after setting the options 2 hours ago, the darned reboot-popup continued; it doesn't check settings once it is launched.

So I rebooted ....

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Auto Reboot Remover - http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/downloads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"This program enables or disables the automatic reboot \'feature\' of windows XP SP2 after an update has been installed. Saves you from losing important work when you walk away from your computer at the wrong time - and XP decides it is going to close everything without saving."
Regards
wasbit

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

wasbit wrote:Auto Reboot Remover
NOW I know what i want.

I want the ability to inhibit all reboots EXCEPT those initiated by a program of my own choosing.

In my case I'd nominate my two DOS BATch files "ReBoot.bat" and "ShutDown.bat" as the only two agents authorised to cause any sort of restart.
Every other form would be inhibited.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Be aware that there is some degree of risk running a system that may be partially updated.

Joe
Joe