What is usetup.exe

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

What is usetup.exe

Post by E_OGRADY »

I use Lavasoft Ad=Aware pro and lately get a message that usetup.exe is trying to change policy settings, I block this due to the fact that I have not installed any new applications. It may be the result of some automatic update, but the file usetup.exe is not visible on my system. Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What is usetup.exe

Post by HansV »

USetup.exe is a part of Windows that is run very early during the setup of Windows; it shouldn't run after that.

There is some mention of a program usetup.exe in association with USoft software. Do you have that? If not, I'd block this attempt.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I think I have found the culprit (read as I hope). The file usetup.exe does not exist on my system as far as I can determine. After my post on this subject I decided to update CS Security Software, lo and behold usetup.exe was one of the files being downloaded, I again rejected to registry change and the update failed, I repeated the process with the same results.
The next occasion I accepted the registry change only on the basis that I had started the process. It appears as though the system is stable and no more warning messages.
In my opinion it is a pity that a simple e-mail from CA could have alerted the end user.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That sounds like a plausible explanation - good detective work! Thanks for posting back.
Best wishes,
Hans