MCE 2005 update install strategy

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

MCE 2005 update install strategy

Post by stuck »

I have an XP MCE 2005 (Rollup 2) system. I installed it from scratch on a brand new partition with a set of OEM disks. It's validated. The only updates applied, via Windows Update (not MS Update) are an update to Widows Installer, WGA tool and the Package Installer. These were prerequisites to being able to find out what was offer, which is...

75 updates (fair enough, this is after all a clean install), presented as an either/or choice:

Either: SP3

Or: 74 assorted others. The one at the bottom of the list is dated April 2006 (well before SP3), the one at the top is dated April 2010 (after SP3)

I'm tempted to go through the list of 74 separate and select only those that predate SP3 and install them before trying SP3, especially since at least one of them is explicitly for MCE. Before I do that anyone else care to offer a an update install strategy?

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: MCE 2005 update install strategy

Post by John Gray »

If It was me, I'd install SP3, which would account for many of the required updates and do them all together, then do all the post-SP3 updates. This will probably involve rebooting the PC several times; after each time a few more updates will come out of the woodwork. Allow quite a number of hours for this undeniably exciting procedure...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I agree with John: I'd start with SP3, then see what's left after that.

I'm not sure I'd qualify this as "undeniably exciting"... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Had this been a straightforward XP install then yes, I would have dived in with SP3 and then gone back as many times as necesary to clear any subsequent updates but this is Media Center Edition and I know that when SP3 was first released there were various incantations one had to perform before MCE would swallow SP3. You couldn't just download SP3 and run it (well, you could but you'd get stuck and that's me already :grin:). You had to get it via Windows Updates to makes sure the MCE system was SP3 ready.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the way these updates are being offered to me but it looks like the 74 individual updates are independent of SP3, i.e. they are not an unbundled version of SP3. I think I'll investigate this by searching MS to find a list of all the KB articles that make up SP3 and comparing them to the 74 individual ones I'm being offered. That way I can definitely pick out any pre-SP3 updates and do those first, then do SP3 before finishing off with the post SP3 lot.

Now all I need is several hours and some paint to watch dry as a diversion to this "undeniably exciting" activity.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It was a grey day today and slightly damp as well so rather than get cold and wet in the garden I spent the afternoon on this "undeniably exciting" activity.

I lost count how many times I rebooted but my MCE system is fully updated to SP3 and beyond.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Fun, isn't it, waiting for your PC to reboot yet again... :nope:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My wife asked me several times if I was 'having fun' :laugh:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

And you politely said "Yes, Dear"? :laugh:

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:yep:

and she then gave me one of those, "It's sad / I've no idea why you spend so much time on That Thing" looks.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Well, often I get that same look plus some verbal comment about which I have no comment. :innocent:

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Do you also get the one that goes, "You're not going to break it are you? It's just that the last time you fiddled with it... and I need to send an email."

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Only if I broke it last time. :grin:

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:rofl: me too!