Remove Homegroup icon from desktop

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Remove Homegroup icon from desktop

Post by Peter Kinross »

Does anyone know of a non registry hack to remove the Homegroup icon from the desktop?
There are plenty of registry hacks online to do this, but there are also warnings that some of these may cause a loss of functionality elsewhere, so I am loath to do that.
With this in mind, I have to say that Microshaft deserves plenty of brickbats for this. It is obvious from reading online complaints that this has been a frustration for Windows users for a L..O..N..G time, yet MS, as is their want, still refuses to be even a tiny bit helpful.
Hoping someone at the Lounge can be more helpful than Microshaft.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Remove Homegroup icon from desktop

Post by Claude »

I don't have one of those icons on my desktop (w7 home premium) ? What version of W7 do you have ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 7 Home Premium at home, and Windows 7 Enterprise at work, and neither has a Homegroup icon on the desktop.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:I have Windows 7 Home Premium at home, and Windows 7 Enterprise at work, and neither has a Homegroup icon on the desktop.
That's probably because you haven't set up a Home Network!

I can't see any solution posted that doesn't include either disabling Homegroup or this Technet registry modification.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We have 6 machines with Windows 7 and NONE of them have a "Homegroup" icon on the desk top.

Yes we we have a "WorkGroup" network setup, BUT we do NOT use "Libraries". If you have a Library set up, then the Icon may appear on the desktop. Yes, Libraries are part of the HomeGroup.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have Libraries set up, and I use network shares, but I don't use the Microsoft Homegroup and it doesn't display any icons.
StuartR

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have Win 7 Home Premium.
I do not have a Homegroup set up.
I do not use libraries.
The icon appeared out of the blue when I was having network problems. Main computer could see and access the other two, but the other two could only see the main computer but not access it. I had 3 paid tech experts try to fix this, the first 2 failed (after quite some hours each) the third tech, after over an hour, said it had to be Norton 360, as he has had major probs with other clients using 360. We uninstalled Norton and hey presto, my network was back. But in the process, the Homegroup icon appeared.
W R T Lief's suggestion. I have seen this, but there are several sites that warn of loss of functionality after some registry hacks to remove the Homegroup icon, so I didn't want to try that. I am afraid that maybe that is all that can be done. If that's the case - bummer - a pox on you Mr Microshaft! ! !
Avagr8day, regards, Peter