Putting A Laptop To "Sleep"

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Putting A Laptop To "Sleep"

Post by Bigaldoc »

If I leave my laptop running, but close the lid which puts it to "sleep" (NOT hibernate!) can things like Windows Update, MSE update, etc. still "see it" and run their stuff?

(It remains connected to the internet via my router.)

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Putting A Laptop To "Sleep"

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Bigaldoc wrote:If I leave my laptop running, but close the lid which puts it to "sleep" (NOT hibernate!) can things like Windows Update, MSE update, etc. still "see it" and run their stuff? (It remains connected to the internet via my router.)
If it is sleeping then it isn't active and I would expect the answer to be a monosyllabic `No'! However, the following quote is from Microsoft at:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions
What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?
Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.
HTH

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions:

• "When Windows is asleep, it can still download and install updates and perform other routine maintenance tasks. For this reason, some companies require employees to put their computers to sleep rather than shut them down when going home for the evening."

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

An interesting contradiction? It is my understanding that closing the lid of a laptop operates a switch, usually a toggle button, that isolates the computer from any activity whatsoever until the lid is lifted. In the BIOS of an non-laptop computer I have seen a setting, which I have never needed to use, of Wake-on-LAN. I have always assumed that if this setting were enabled the computer would become active when network activity occurred.

Edit to add from http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html:
To support WOL you must have a computer with Motherboard that supports WOL, as well as a Network Controller (NIC) supporting this function. Most of the newer Motherboard (circa 2002 and On), have an On Board NIC that supports WOL. Otherwise you need to install a PCI NIC that is WOL capable.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Big Al, I cant tell you the settings or technical details but if I leave my laptop in sleep mode by closing the lid as you do, Windows Media Centre and Windows Update run during the night. I think it must wake on LAN.
Jeff

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

jaystarter wrote:Big Al, I cant tell you the settings or technical details but if I leave my laptop in sleep mode by closing the lid as you do, Windows Media Centre and Windows Update run during the night. I think it must wake on LAN.
That would surprise me a lot, since you usually have to enable the NIC's power settings to allow Wake-on-LAN, and maybe also set something in the BIOS. I haven't yet come across a machine that didn't need some changes for WoL to work... As Malcolm says!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

MalcolmWalker wrote:...It is my understanding that closing the lid of a laptop operates a switch, usually a toggle button, that isolates the computer from any activity whatsoever until the lid is lifted...
On most laptops, closing the lid simply sends a signal to the operating system, which decides what to do based on settings in the Control Panel Power Management app.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR