Understanding Win7/HP Explorer search options

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Understanding Win7/HP Explorer search options

Post by ChrisGreaves »

1.png
To say "I don't understand the new search options" is an understatement.
I've been struggling for 7 months now, and am ready to ask for help.

I miss the old XP Advanced Search Companion where I could see what my options were, and could locate all files that contained a tilde character (~) within their name.

I just can't seem to teach this new dog an old trick.

In the screenshot above I have specified (I thought) any file whose name starts with a tilde, but Explorer seems to return all files.
I have previously essayed with a single character (~), but then Explorer seems to return all files and sub-folders of the specified folder.

I note too that my options are severely limited.

Below, just for Old Times Sake, I've pasted an image of that-which-I-miss.
untitled.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Understanding Win7/HP Explorer search options

Post by HansV »

I really like Windows 7, and that includes searching for specific files and programs from the search box in the Start menu. That's simple, fast and efficient.
But its so-called advanced search fails spectacularly. It is very user-unfriendly, and frequently returns either too many or too few results.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You need to use the Advanced Query Syntax. Also see Windows Advanced Query Syntaxand Using advanced query syntax for some examples.

AQS is powerful but NOT user friendly.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... searching for specific files and programs from the search box in the Start menu.
Thanks Hans, I'll try this as an alternative.
(I just gave it a first whirl looking for ~*.* with spectacular non-results. It would not appear to be useful for file cleanup)
... advanced search fails spectacularly. It is very user-unfriendly, and frequently returns either too many or too few results.
Thanks too for this. It confirms what I think.
Of course, as with all new technology I start off by assuming I've mis-understood something. ...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

In Windows 7 you can use the method that I have always used.

Go to a command prompt and type
dir /s/p c:\~*.*

You can even use > to redirect the output to a temp file for further processing.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:You need to use the Advanced Query Syntax. Also see ... AQS is powerful but NOT user friendly. Joe
Thanks Joe.

Tada! :music: :bananas: :mice:

Putting "~*.*" in double-quotes did the trick!
Now to study the syntax in detail ...

(How puzzling that MS didn't provide a better user-interface for so powerful a tool. ...)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:Go to a command prompt and type .... use > to redirect the output to a temp file for further processing.
Thanks Stuart, and yes, I'm a great fan of the redirected DIR command:
DIR *.doc > EraseMe.doc
Followed by a keyboard macro in MSWord to format the list.

In the specific case from yesterday(?) I was looking for all the tilde files so I could delete them, and Explorer seemed a better bet.
I have used ToniArts's EasyCleaner 2.0 in the past, and it still works under Win7, so if I wasn't using Explorer it's make sense to use a pre-defined utility.

My puzzlement has extended to more than tilde files, though. Over the months I've been trying to locate files I *know* I've saved, with no success.

I see that at least one of JoeP's references includes comments that this AQS will solve more of my problems.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This thread has been of great help to me. I had always thought that the syntax for searching for files by name was
Name:whatever
but I now see that it should be
Filename:whatever

Unfortunately for me, Name: is a valid syntax for searching for videos by name, not by filename, so it appeared to be working. That explains why my searches often didn't find what I was expecting.
StuartR

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

ChrisGreaves wrote: ...any file whose name starts with a tilde
Have you tried Everything? http://www.voidtools.com/. Free, donations appreciated. On my system at work, it found a bunch of filenames that either started with a ~ or had a ~ in the filename.
SearchEverything.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Just installed "Everything" and it appears to be great.

But does it work on Network drives?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Don't know, I only use it locally; I doubt it would work on network drives since it indexes every single folder and file at each startup.
Sundog

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:To say "I don't understand the new search options" is an understatement.
Nonetheless, spurred into action by my peers and superiors I have begun exploring the syntax and semantics of AQS by typing up a little exercise page for each task as I think of it/solve it using AQS.

The results which can be viewed here are a Work In Progress, and will change by leaps and bounds, as I am inspired.

The pages/articles are NOT laid out as a training course. Right now they just a collection of tasks, recorded on the web. At a later stage I will use this material for a 1-hour training course and/or tweet it out as tips, like my WinTips series.