Can't connect to just ONE web address

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Can't connect to just ONE web address

Post by viking33 »

I an using Fx as my default browser but this is also happening using IE9.
Trying to connect to a local Boston website for TV channel 5.
http://www.wbz4.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I get a can't connect message with Fx and similar using IE9.
This is the ONLY address I'm having a problem with. All other sites connect fine. I have put the site in my trusted sites and also changed to the Google DNS server to test. All with similar failures. Prior to this this site worked fine also. Why now?
Messages shown below are from Fx and then IE9.
Capturenoconnect.PNG
CaptureIE9.PNG
More detail to follow as I continue to try fixes.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Can't connect to just ONE web address

Post by PaulB »

I cannot connect to that address either.
wbz4.JPG
A Google search for WBZ4 shows a lot of hits for the CBS station in Boston, but none with the address "wbz4.com".
ggl.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I dunno, Paul, Domain Tools shows a legit domain for Boston, including web page thumbnails:

Registrant:
Domain Admin
CBS Radio Inc.
40 West 57th Street
New York NY 10019

So I suspect the web server is down for whatever reason, but of course I'm just guessing...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There's a useful website http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ which shows it's not just down for you.
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

This could be caused by several things.

My first thought would be: OK, it's temporarily down (especially since every other site you try work); happens every day, every minute, somewhere on the web.

In TCPView I get: 63.164.230.248 http SYN_SENT
SYN_SENT = waiting for a connection to be established with the IP Address corresponding to the URL.

BTW, the address will expire in 5-6 weeks it seems.
Maybe they have changed to something else. Such as: http://boston.cbslocal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(BTW, when I first read the topic, early morning too little coffee, I thought you were forced to connect to two or more web addresses, a single one didn't work. :laugh:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

John Gray wrote:There's a useful website http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ which shows it's not just down for you.
Very handy site, John. Thanks!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bigaldoc wrote:I dunno, Paul, Domain Tools shows a legit domain for Boston, including web page thumbnails:

Registrant:
Domain Admin
CBS Radio Inc.
40 West 57th Street
New York NY 10019

So I suspect the web server is down for whatever reason, but of course I'm just guessing...
Can't argue with you, Al. Just saying I can't find that address with Google.
Regards,
Paul

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Thanks to all who responded. I've been able to get to the TV News site using a workaround address. cbslocal.com.

Doing a little behind the scenes detective work has come up with some mysterious feuding with the network and the local Boston station. ( none of which has been corroborated yet ) This has apparently resulted in the wbz4.com address being disabled or deleted. Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face!!!
I've sent a couple of emails to WBZ asking for some clarification and or reasoning behind this move. We will see if they respond with a decent answer. Keep you posted.
Again, many thanks.
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

For further info, this is the first reply I received from TV WBZ in Boston. Notice that it states they were redirecting wbz4 for about TWO YEARS. Funny but I was using it without trouble up until a few days ago? :scratch:
----------------------------
Quote:
Good morning Bob,

The WBZ-TV website actually hasn't officially been WBZ4.com for a number of years.
That was one of several web addresses that we continued to own, which re-directed users to our current site.

However for the last two years we have been directing our on-air viewers to visit CBSBoston.com, and wbztv.com for several years prior to that.

So you can currently find News, Weather and Traffic from WBZ-TV, as well as WBZ NewsRadio 1030 and 98.5 The Sports Hub at http://CBSBoston.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thank you,

Julie Eich | Boston Market Director of Digital Content
CBS Local Media's CBSBoston.com MIX1041.com WZLX.com 1033AMPRadio.com
WBZ-TV WBZ NewsRadio 1030 98.5 The Sports Hub myTV38 Mix 104.1 100.7 WZLX 103.3 AMP Radio
BOB