Changing the name after "Users"

Catz
StarLounger

Changing the name after "Users"

Post by Catz »

I have win 7 64 bit and IE9 . When I open some documents I get C:\Users\******\Desktop\Documents.Doc2.doc. Where I typed the stars is my full name. How can I change that area **** so that it reads something else?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Changing the name after "Users"

Post by HansV »

It's probably best to create a new user account with the name that you would like to use, and to copy the documents etc. from the old profile to the new one.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The ONLY way is to do as HansV suggested.

If you do a user account rename, it will NOT change this folder name, just what is displayed on the login screen and start menu.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:laugh: I can use a canned reply, as I chime in after Dave, though this reply was for XP it's the same (including spelling errors).
Argus, at another place, wrote:There is a difference between the "actual account name"/user name and the "Full name". When an account is created (if not done in some odd way) both are the same: "actual account name" = "Full name". For the majority of the users both names stay the same.
The "Full name" is the one shown on the Start menu, the Welcome screen and in User Accounts screen (Control panel) etc.

The "actual account name" is used internally by Windows; one uses it rarely, if one has to specify the account in commands etc. And in most cases both names are the same, so ...

The "actual account name" is also the one used for the User Profile sub folder in Documents and Settings. And, obviously, since the User Accounts tool (CP) only will change the "Full name" nothing will happen with the "actual account name" with THAT tool. And even if one sees the need to change the "actual account name" with another tool, the name of the folder will not change. So I agree with you Dave on this.
I also agree with Hans, of course. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.