More Irritating Migration Questions

BobH
UraniumLounger

More Irritating Migration Questions

Post by BobH »

I received a USB-C hub today. It's working fine and gives me 2 more USB-A ports, 2 more SD card ports, and 2 more USB-c ports. I have the HDD from the failed HP laptop installed in an enclosure and connected to the hub. I can now access all the files from the old Windows 10 system on the new Windows 11 system. So far, I've encountered no compatibility problems, but I wouldn't expect any because I believe Windows 11 is backwards compatible wrt files.

The old HDD has it's program files folder and files intact. Would it be possible to create a dual boot system so that I can choose to boot either Win 10 or Win 11? The reason for doing so would be to be able to run all the programs from the old system for which I do not have installable media. Another reason is that the new system has only a 256 GB hard drive whereas the old HDD is 1 TB

If it's possible, what would I have to do create a dual boot system.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: More Irritating Migration Questions

Post by JoeP »

If you could not get the old system to boot from that drive, you'll not be able to get the new system to boot either. Also, you may have driver issues especially if they are from different vendors.
Joe

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

It may be worth looking into running your old system as a virtual machine, e.g. Oracle VM VirtualBox, but I don't know enough about it myself...
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The old system is dead, tot, kaput. I suspect it was the power supply, but it might have been another component. I was surprised and pleased that the HDD, when harvested, was still intact.

The old system was an HP; the new one is a Dell.

I guess my dream of a dual boot system is, like the old system, dead.

Thanks for the responses.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs