Microsoft account

jmt356
SilverLounger

Microsoft account

Post by jmt356 »

I am adding a new account to my laptop. Windows states:

"Windows is better when your settings and files automatically sync. Use a Microsoft account to easily get all your stuff on all your devices."

Does this mean that if I use a Microsoft account, my Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos will show up on the new laptop? What about settings like my default browsers and other default programs, my shortcuts in Chrome, etc.?

What if I set up the account on my new laptop but don't sign in to my OneDrive account? Will my files still sync?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Microsoft account

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

That link states the following with respect to Windows 11:

OneDrive folder syncing
Turn on OneDrive folder syncing to start backing up your files and folders right from Settings. This setting is not available for work or school accounts.

So it appears that file synching occurs through OneDrive. I don't see why Windows states that signing in with a Microsoft account allows for synching of files. As I understand, files are not synched through logging in with a Microsoft account. They are synched through logging in to OneDrive. I have OneDrive on a computer in which I am not logged in to a Microsoft account, yet all my files in the OneDrive folder are synched.

Also, this statement appears to be false:
"This setting is not available for work or school accounts."

I have a Work account and yet all my files in my OneDrive account are synched across my devices.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

As far as I can tell, creating a user account using a Microsoft Account and logging in with that user account does not cause settings or files to synch. I just tried it. Basic things like taskbar shortcuts and desktop wallpaper did not carry through. I think the only thing it did was cause an automatic sign-in to OneDrive under the Microsoft Account.

One thing that is incredibly annoying about logging in to Windows with a Microsoft account is the amount of time it takes to pull up the window that asks for the password. It takes about 20 seconds for the Microsoft account window that prompts for my password to show up. Is this normal? Do others have this issue?

In contrast, signing in with a local account or a PIN instead of a Microsoft account password is instantaneous.
Regards,

JMT