Cannot view HEIC files synced from iPhone

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot view HEIC files synced from iPhone

Post by jmt356 »

I use OneDrive to sync my Camera Roll between my iPhone and my laptop. On my laptop, the photos show up as HEIC Files (.heic), which it seems Windows is unable to read. Is there a way to get them to sync over as JPGs or as other files that Windows can read, without having to install third-party software or following some complex procedure?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cannot view HEIC files synced from iPhone

Post by HansV »

You can install a codec for HEIF/HEVC - see How to Open HEIC Files on Windows (or Convert Them to JPEG)
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

iPhones use HIEC as the default file format for photos. That means if you want your photos in JPEG format you will either have to change your iPhone to use JPEG as the default file format (NB I don't have an iPhone so I have no idea if that is even possible) or convert the HIEC files to JPEG format once you have downloaded them from your phone to your laptop.

Alternatively, simply install a HIEC codec on your laptop so that Windows can decode the files.

Ken
PS you could have found this out for yourself, as I did, with only a couple all of simple searches.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Go to your iphone Camera Settings>Formats>Select Most Compatible. It will save any new photos as JPG.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is there any difference in resolution recorded by HEIC and JPG?

When I ran into this some time ago, I found and used a free conversion program to change HEIC to jpg.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The differences between HIEC and JPEG are not as simple as 'resolution'. Do a search on HIEC vs JPEG and you'll learn more. However, by converting your HIEC files to JPEG I expect you will have lost some quality.

Meanwhile although it is generally accepted that HIEC is a 'superior' format to JPEG, only Apple has adopted it as the default format for camera phone images and since Android phones have a much larger market share than iPhones it's going to be a long time before JPEG goes away. Another superior alternative to JPEG is a format called JXL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL). This has the advantage over HIEC that it is backward compatible with JPEG so in theory it stands a good chance of replacing JPEG but unless the big Android phone manufacturers switch to it I can't see it becoming the new king of image file formats.

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

jolas wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 04:23
Go to your iphone Camera Settings>Formats>Select Most Compatible. It will save any new photos as JPG.
Thanks, Jolas, for providing the solution.

When I select "Most Compatible," my iPhone states that HEIF/HEVC is used by iOS by default as to reduce file size. So it seems selecting Most Compatible causes Windows to save the photos to a JPEG format, which is larger and which, according to Stuck (Ken), will cause some quality loss.

But at least the images can be viewed on a Windows laptop without having to install outside software.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

To the earlier poster who suggested that I convert HEIC files on my laptop or install a codec and that I could have found this out by conducting a simple search, while I thank him for his post, I want to clarify that I am aware of how to use Google, but as I stated in my OP, I do not want to install software to achieve my goal. Jolas provided a solution that does not require installing software.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 08:33
To the earlier poster who suggested that I convert HEIC files on my laptop or install a codec and that I could have found this out by conducting a simple search, while I thank him for his post, I want to clarify that I am aware of how to use Google, but as I stated in my OP, I do not want to install software to achieve my goal. Jolas provided a solution that does not require installing software.
And may I clarify that I didn't just suggest you install a codec. The first part of my answer was the same solution as suggested later by Jolas. Only I didn't spoon feed you the exact details, where I said:
...if you want your photos in JPEG format you will either have to change your iPhone to use JPEG as the default file format (NB I don't have an iPhone so I have no idea if that is even possible) or...
Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

jmt356 wrote:
There are websites which convert .HEIC files to .JPG files.
No software needs to be installed on your laptop.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for that, John. I shall look up those websites.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In Windows 10 or Windows 11, you can install the HEIF codec from the Microsoft Store. It is a Microsoft product, not a third-party product. It is optional because not everyone needs it.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

stuck wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 14:43
jmt356 wrote:
And may I clarify that I didn't just suggest you install a codec. The first part of my answer was the same solution as suggested later by Jolas. Only I didn't spoon feed you the exact details, where I said:
...if you want your photos in JPEG format you will either have to change your iPhone to use JPEG as the default file format (NB I don't have an iPhone so I have no idea if that is even possible) or...
My issue is with the snide remark, “you could have found this out for yourself, as I did, with only a couple all of simple searches,” which was in reference to two solutions that you proposed that were contrary to what I asked for in my original post: (i) converting the HIEC files to JPEG or (ii) installing a HIEC codec. Yes – those solutions do come up on a couple of simple searches. And I was aware of them. And that is why I said in my OP that I did not want to install any software. And the solution that Jolas pointed out does not turn up in searches. He solved it and I suggest we now close this thread.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 06:44
... two solutions that you proposed that were contrary to what I asked for in my original post: (i) converting the HIEC files to JPEG or (ii) installing a HIEC codec...
At the risk of irritating you further, please read my original reply again. My first solution wasn't that you convert HIEC files to JPEG. I suggested, as Jolas did in subsequent post, to change the settings in you iPhone so that files were saved as JEPGs in the first place.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK guys, let's call it quits. :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans