Google found us

DaveA
GoldLounger

Google found us

Post by DaveA »

It appears that Google is searching for something, but I think the Admins have things blocked :evilgrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google found us

Post by HansV »

Bots can view the portal and some pages such as the FAQ, but they're not allowed to see any forums. If you look at the cached version of the board index, you'll see
x27.png
The forums aren't even listed. But people searching for Eileen's Lounge can at least find the site this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thnaks,

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Another thot is when I Googled "Eileen's Lounge" these are the results with our lounge at the top Google Results for "Eileen's Lounge" however, WOT shows it as gray because it doesn't have enough users rating it sooooo do your part and help rate this as Excellent WOT rating for EL

http://www.mywot.com/en/support/faq Scroll down to "How do I rate a website"?
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Hey Jude wrote:... however, WOT shows it as gray because it doesn't have enough users rating it sooooo do your part and help rate this as Excellent WOT rating for EL

lol I think this was one of the very first sites I rated after adding the WOT extension to Chrome. In fact, I'd forgotten I had done so until I followed the link above and discovered I had already added my rating (and WOT won't let me vote twice, darn it.)
Samantha

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Samantha wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:... however, WOT shows it as gray because it doesn't have enough users rating it sooooo do your part and help rate this as Excellent WOT rating for EL

lol I think this was one of the very first sites I rated after adding the WOT extension to Chrome. In fact, I'd forgotten I had done so until I followed the link above and discovered I had already added my rating (and WOT won't let me vote twice, darn it.)
Every vote counts tho and one-by-one we will get there eh? FYI I have 2 different user accounts that I use for Chrome and FF so got to vote 2x :laugh: I just checked it and both are active and working hehe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Another thot is when I Googled "Eileen's Lounge" these are the results with our lounge at the top Google Results for "Eileen's Lounge" however, WOT shows it as gray because it doesn't have enough users rating it sooooo do your part and help rate this as Excellent WOT rating for EL

http://www.mywot.com/en/support/faq Scroll down to "How do I rate a website"?
What am I missing here?
What does WOT do for me? ( or us? )
Why should I register with them in order to vote for us?
Advantages are?
:scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote: What am I missing here?
What does WOT do for me? ( or us? )
Why should I register with them in order to vote for us?
Advantages are?
:scratch:
WOT shows me the reputation of a site and that helps me decide whether I will visit it or just take a pass. When I Google something and I see the WOT results, I am more apt to NOT visit a site with a gray circle due to #1 it may be a new site and #2 nobody has bothered to rate it for content good, bad or indifferent. I have never had an issue with visiting a site which shows green. I rarely visit a site that is yellow and I NEVER go to one that shows RED. That's the advantage. Sure, their ratings are partly based on user preferences and reliability, but how do you think all these other sites got their ratings? Users rating sites increase traffic flow and we become more well known for being a top-notch site where people can visit w/o fearing malware, spam, phishing etc. Those ratings are shown on most popular search engines. You can also right-click any link to check it’s rating. This works in e-mail and on your favorite sites. If you click on a malicious link, WOT will pop up a warning. You can navigate away before any harm is done.That's just my opinion. It was just a thot :smile: Obviously, common sense must be exercised no matter which site you choose to frequent. I can honestly say I've never had issues with using WOT. There have been times where users here and in WSL have put up links that bring up a red WARNING and I immediately shut it down so it gives an added layer of security, howbeit false or otherwise.

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Unfortunately, those of us who have accessibility features turned on so we can read the darn screen get shortchanged by WOT. Once installed, we can see ratings, but pretty much all their menus and settings screens are useless because they're missing the scripted controls you need to see and click to interact with then. :scratch:

At least that's the way it behaves on my work machine.
Charlotte

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:
viking33 wrote:
OK, thanks for the rundown.
Didn't make me rush right out and DL it but it's good to know. :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

As an add-on for FF the ratings show up on my navigation bar. I don't understand what part short-changes Charlotte. And Bob, some use it and some don't. Obviously it's a personal choice :smile: On my 7 laptop above shows gray and "not enough ratings for this site" when you mouse over the gray circle so let's get us some ratings!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:It appears that Google is searching for something, but I think the Admins have things blocked :evilgrin:
Dave, do you think that Eileen's Forum will be un-blocked so that we can be found by Google Search? It sure would be nice to join the heavy hitters. :fanfare:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It is up to the Admins. but I see no reason to.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria,

We run a small server, and we prefer to let Eileen's Lounge grow slowly, so that we can build a community of people who know and trust each other. This is more important to us than getting huge numbers of visitors and posts.
Best wishes,
Hans

errolv2
NewLounger

Post by errolv2 »

I was sadly poking around the WS Lounge, and happened on Bigaldoc's profile. In the corner, I saw the sleeve of an old, familiar coat caught in a small door: (Website URL: http://eileenslounge.com/). Thanks for the small clue, AL!! :clapping:
Now as far as Google and Eileen's Lounge, one does not need to know of Eileen. I entered a more recently famous name, hansv lounge, and Eileen's new digs come in second on the list.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hello Errol, welcome to our new home. I do hope you like it here.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Errol,

Welcome to our new home, glad you made it here!
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

errolv2 wrote:I was sadly poking around the WS Lounge, and happened on Bigaldoc's profile. In the corner, I saw the sleeve of an old, familiar coat caught in a small door: (Website URL: http://eileenslounge.com/). Thanks for the small clue, AL!!
You're welcome, Errol and I add my Welcome to our new place! There's also a bigger clue on my web domain at AlHoffman.Org in the nature of a prominent link for any who happen onto my web page.

We hope you'll enjoy your visits here, as always...

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I did my part, joined WOT > installed the software for IE and FF, so I get to vote twice too. :clapping:
Left a comment on the ratings page for the lounge, praising admins and posters.
Soon we may have enough comments to get out of the gray area.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Gloria E wrote:I did my part, joined WOT > installed the software for IE and FF, so I get to vote twice too. :clapping:
Left a comment on the ratings page for the lounge, praising admins and posters.
Soon we may have enough comments to get out of the gray area.

Gloria E
WOOHOOOOO~!~!~! Glad you did and so did I~!~! :clapping: :cheers: I wanted to pick all the categories in GREEN but since it only allowed one choice, well I hoped I picked a different one, but alas it was the same as yours :sad: I still frequent "gray" sites, however I do add my own rating vote if I find everything in order. EL is the best forum I've ever been privileged to be a part so folks need to know this. From the organization to the quick bantering, puzzles, cooking, music and the best experts in areas of computer knowledge which "I know nothing" (with excuses to Schultz) it has been a delightful experience. Thanks for posting Duchess~! :clapping: