Email notifications (User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit posting defaults)

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Email notifications (User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit posting defaults)

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi
I noticed something a few weeks ago that effected my Email notifications. I did not want to jump to conclusions so I monitored it for a while, experimented further etc., and then thought at this point I would mention it in case it might help others like me who’s Email notifications are a bit wonky, as they have been for a while for some of us…

So first, the update to my Email notification wonkiness, is/ was the following …._
_.... I always have had, for ever, these in my
User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit notifications options
Everything checked in User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit notifications options.JPG

I never changed those, (other than temporarily for a short period in the course of experiments involved with trying to figure out the wonkiness in my Email notifications).
_.____________

By me the wonkiness has been stable now at the following state for over a year now:
I was getting consistently Email notifications if somebody quoted me, but no other Email notifications.

_.____________

In my ignorance, I had always overlooked the fact that there is another setting to consider: User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit posting defaults
User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit posting defaults , left No notifications Right Yes notifications.JPG
( I found that setting by accident, and then after, with hindsight, I did find a post where Han’s mentioned it . )

To the best of my knowledge, I have never consciously changed that setting, Edit posting defaults , as I never knew it existed. The first time in my life I ever saw it, a few weeks ago, it was as in the left screen shot.
I’m the kid that had to touch the stove after my mum told me it was hot, so I changed the settings to as in the right screenshot. After that one thing has changed: I now do get Email notifications when somebody replies to a thread (topic) I start. So now 2 Email notifications have been consistently working for me for a few weeks
_ when someone quotes me
_ when there is a reply in a thread ( topic ) that I started

I did not want to jump to conclusions, so I put the setting back to as in the left screenshot a few times, then back again etc. … Now here is the funny thing. Currently it makes no difference. Left or right settings and now I get Email notifications
_ when someone quotes me
_ when there is a reply in a thread ( topic ) that I started

Of course there is the possibility that it was a coincidence that things changed for some other reason just coincidently when I stumbled over and messed with the User Control Panel – Board preferences – Edit posting defaults setting. But the odds are against it as I had not been near my settings for over a year

So, Initially, it would appear that, by me, it was less so the actual setting, but rather the messing with it, that is to say the first changing of it that I did, which seems to have had some effect.

Given the many permutations to check and the known wonkiness generally, I don’t think there are any concrete conclusions to be drawn from this yet. But I thought it was worthwhile mentioning it at this point for this reason: For others experiencing lack of the Email notifications, Email notifications that there settings suggest they should be getting, perhaps a quick fiddle with that setting is worth a try. Maybe it’s the act of changing it, which somehow shakes something up, leading to a permanent change, rather than the actual setting.
(Do at your own risk, of course, Lol – don’t blame me if all your postings get incinerated, Lol, :) )

I will keep monitoring the situation and post again if I think I have anything more conclusive to say

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(