Forum width

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Forum width

Post by jonwallace »

Is it just me or does the forum not stretch across the full width of the browser any more? I've tried using Pale Moon and Vivaldi (both on Windows). It seems to be ok on Pale Moon in Peppermint Linux. Strange eh?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Re: Forum width

Post by DocAElstein »

jonwallace wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 00:12
Is it just me or does the forum not stretch across the full width of the browser ...
Hi
I thought I had noticed something like that for a while. On average on my browsers I seem to use a zoom of 90-100% for most sites, whereas for Eileen’s lounge 110% seems better.
Eileen's Lounge zoom 110 per cent.JPG
But then the text is a bit big for me, so I often go back down in zoom and live with the spaces in the margins. I think some forum software often leaves spaces in the margin areas for ads.
( Spaces in margins seem to be getting more noticeable in the world as "Smart" Phones take over us. )

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Almost all board styles have a maximum width, only Black stretches to the full width of the window.
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

OK. thanks for the info. I'll have a rummage.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 10:05
Almost all board styles have a maximum width, only Black stretches to the full width of the window.
Hi Hans.
Have I understood this?
In Black mode, for a given font-size for text (say 10pt), will I receive more characters-per-laptop-screen than in other board styles?

I am thinking here of maximizing the amount of data (text characters) that I can harvest with my (fast) eyes-brain before needing to move to another screen (relatively slow hand/mouse movement).

FWIW I have switched to Black mode for now.
Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes - the screenshots below show part of the same topic. Both capture more or less the full height of the window on my PC. The second one clearly displays more text. I don't find that easier on the eye but that's a matter of taste...

S2482.png
S2483.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 13:07
Yes - the screenshots below show part of the same topic. Both capture more or less the full height of the window on my PC. The second one clearly displays more text. I don't find that easier on the eye but that's a matter of taste...
Thanks Hans. I already don't like black/dark mode so I understand taste. I am currently in black mode and might try it for a few days.

If I can cram more text on the screen, it gives me time to sip more coffee before using my right arm for other purposes. :cheers: :coffeetime:

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My objection is that longer lines don't make for easier reading.
Best wishes,
Hans