Login irritations

DenGar
3StarLounger

Login irritations

Post by DenGar »

An ongoing Log in problem, seemingly a carry over from the WS Lounge where I had the same problem, is beginning to bug me. If I log in and check the "keep me logged in" box, there's no guarantee that I'll be recognized as being logged in the next time I access the Lounge. Sometimes yes, most of the time no. For example, earlier this afternoon I logged in, made a post, and just a few minutes ago, found I had to register (!) when I accessed the site and, again, had to click the login button. I logged off the site, reopened it, and then I didn't have to register, just manually log in again. Aaargh! On the other hand, sometimes I'm automatically logged in for a week at a time. I've obviously not blocked the Lounge. I've enabled cookies for it. I have it in my favorites. Granted, it's a minor inconvenience but one I'd like to end. Any thoughts?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Login irritations

Post by HansV »

I fear that the problem is on your end - the logged in status is not kept on our server but on your own PC, in the Lounge cookie(s). Do you run any kind of cleanup utility that might remove cookies?

I have no problem remaining logged in to Eileen's Lounge, whether I use Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox 3.6, and when I was still active on the Windows Secrets Lounge, I didn't have problems there either.
Best wishes,
Hans

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

I do have a cookie cleanup utility, but I'm able to distinguish between "delete" and "keep." I'll recheck the cookies, though. Thanks.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DenGar wrote:I do have a cookie cleanup utility, but I'm able to distinguish between "delete" and "keep." I'll recheck the cookies, though. Thanks.
Hans is right, Dennis.
I'm afraid you are "losing your cookies." :grin:
That happens to me whenever I run any cleanup routine.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DenGar wrote:An ongoing Log in problem, ...
Despite Hans' and Dengar's comments :hugs: , you are not alone.
This has been bugging me, documented in This Thread started by Pilgrim and hijacked by me.
It's a real pain, and I've almost given up on finding a solution.
I understand that it happens only on specific user machines, but to my mind, that doesn't exclude the possibility of there being a problem on the other side of the partnership.
I also understand that we can't expect our volunteer( :fanfare: ) staff to solve our local problems.
But my web-habits haven't changed over the past few years, and my clean-up habits aren't changed, and it never used to happen there, and it doesn't happen with anywhere else (online banking, local lending library etc), and it has reared its ugly head only since I joined Eileen's Lounge.
So it seems as if we must wait for an inspirational thought from some genius, or an accidental discovery by some pleb like me ....
He who plants a seed, plants life.

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

[quote="ChrisGreaves

I understand that it happens only on specific user machines, but to my mind, that doesn't exclude the possibility of there being a problem on the other side of the partnership.
....[/quote]

Another bit of input re. my login problems: As I indicated in my initial post, "earlier this afternoon I logged in, made a post, and just a few minutes ago, found I had to register (!) when I accessed the site and, again, had to click the login button." I did nothing re. cookies or any other settings, cleanings, etc. between making the post and having to register later. A puzzler, but nothing to lose sleep :snore: over.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DenGar wrote:... but nothing to lose sleep over.
I sensed THIS was coming, and got up early to read it. "... but nothing over which to lose sleep", surely? :rofl:
I suspect that it will get to you, the apparent illogicality of it all.
Us humans love to recognize patterns, and to date there seems to be no pattern in this.
Except I recognize your situation of becoming logged-out over the course of a few innocuous minutes.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm afraid I have to join the chorus too. I've been here for what, almost a month and a half without having the "logout" problem but it happened to me yesterday. Only once so far, but it DID happen.

I had the Lounge open as I always do when I'm at home and, as usual, I come and go from the computer for other things around the house. I was browsing threads and left the computer for a short time. I don't remember how long a time it was. When I came back to the PC I hit F5 to refresh the screen I was on (the Index, I think) and the Portal Page came up with the default skin. Since I don't use that skin, I noticed that it wanted me to login.

I did it and haven't had it happen again. I said nothing because I really didn't know if it's associated with this problem or if something DID happen on my local machine to cause it.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have just reviewed the server settings again.

Allow persistent logins is set to Yes.
Expiration of persistent logins is turned off.
If you're composing a new post or reply, it will expire after 2 hours of inactivity (or when your session expires, see the next sentence).
If you don't tick the check box "Remember me", your Lounge session will time out after 1 hour of inactivity.
There is no IP validation, browser validation or referrer validation, they have all been turned off.

So the only explanation is that somehow your Lounge cookies become corrupted. I fully agree that it is irritating, and I wish we could do something about it, but we have no control over that. Sorry!

(And the reason that I remain logged in is not that I'm an administrator. My test user Dopje, who has no special privileges, has no problem remaining logged in over extended periods of time either)
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Add me to the list of members that have to log in every once in a while. Just a minute ago I had to register again to write this comment. To me it seems to have something to do with tabs. I never sign out but if I close the tab without closing the lounge first, I have to sign in when I return. If I leave the tab along and visit other places the tab for EL will log me in the next time, it seems the other tabs move this tab out of the line.

I hope I've explained the situation clearly. I don't mind going through the cycle of signing in but it does get to be a pain in the ....uh neck. :laugh:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I certainly hope you have to register a new user each time. Just logging in should be sufficient.

I'm afraid I have no idea why some of you can't stay logged in, if you tick the check box "Remember me" when logging in.
Best wishes,
Hans

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
DenGar wrote:... but nothing to lose sleep over.
I sensed THIS was coming, and got up early to read it. "... but nothing over which to lose sleep", surely? :rofl:
I suspect that it will get to you, the apparent illogicality of it all.
Us humans love to recognize patterns, and to date there seems to be no pattern in this.
Except I recognize your situation of becoming logged-out over the course of a few innocuous minutes.
"We humans . . . ," surely? :rofl:
" . . . seems to be no pattern in this": this what? A specific, singular antecedent needed, surely? :rofl: :rofl: :thankyou:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Gloria E wrote:... if I close the tab without closing the lounge first, I have to sign in when I return. If I leave the tab along and visit other places the tab for EL will log me in the next time, it seems the other tabs move this tab out of the line..
Something along the lines of "As long as I don't close a tab, I'm OK"?
If so this would suggest that the entire set of tabs available when logged in must remain available at the next log in?
This would satisfy a much earlier suggestion along the lines of "use only the Lounge Index tab".
If one started with only the Lounge Index tab, logged in, opened up lots of tabs, closed all but the Lounge Index tab, and then shut down Firefox, the next Firefox session one would open up the Lounge Index tab, and everything would be logged in?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

DenGar wrote:
"We humans . . . ," surely? :rofl:
"You humans..." perhaps, I think the "puny" is optional... :evilgrin:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube