Move normal Window with keyboard.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Move normal Window with keyboard.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am using Win10 right now.

About 30 years ago a student had somehow managed to move an application window so that the controls (maximize, restore etc and the title bar) were off-screen; above or to the left. I forget which. Probably Win3.1.
Another educator showed me a neat keyboard trick: Using Alt+Space to bring up the top-left control menu, then the letter M to establish a pointer, then the Down-Arrow key repeatedly to drag the Normal window into the desktop area.
Untitled.png
Today I use the Alt+Space trick solely to maXimize a window.

Then yesterday I wanted to drag a Windows photo viewer window of a PNG image so that only the music and text was visible; I wanted to hide the white space at the top of the image, the pale blue background above the white space, and the menu-title area above that. In short, the yellow-bordered region in the attached 124a.PNG had to be shunted off the top of the laptop screen (to make way for the audio tracks in Audacity)

So in Windows photo-viewer I chose Alt+Space, M, Up-arrow until that pale blue area had rolled off the top of the laptop screen, and then <Enter> to fix the position.

No matter what I try (<Enter>, <Escape> etc.) I cannot make the title-bar and controls "stick" to a position off-screen.
It seems as if the drop-down menu is firmly attached to the title bar, and that Windows will not allow that portion of the window to be off-screen.

I cannot see why this should be so, and of course, I cannot drag my 124a.PNG window so that everything above the music score (white, blue, title areas) is off-screen.

Just curious is all.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I’ve been tidying the junk out of my shed for five years, and now can hardly get into the shed