Northwind sample DB in Access 2013

Caesar3
Lounger

Northwind sample DB in Access 2013

Post by Caesar3 »

I'm trying to get comfortable with Access 2013. I subscribe to Office 2013 on a Windows 7 machine, and I have a few questions about the familiar Northwind Traders sample database.
  • I've downloaded a copy of the Access 2007 version of the Northwind sample database, but is there a 2013 version?
    If there's a 2013 version, how does it differ from the 2007 version?
    What's the file path to the sample database on my system? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I ask that last question because I'm trying to follow an on-line article (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/how-do ... -database/) that purports to show how to use a Word form to add data to an Access table. The article supplies all the how-to stuff, but of course it's up to me to furnish the file path to the sample.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Northwind sample DB in Access 2013

Post by Rudi »

AFAIK the Northwind database is still called Northwind Traders 2007, but it was redesigned as a web version when Office 2010 was released.
The easiest way to get the new web version is to download the template from right within Access 2013. (Just ensure you have a web connection to do this).

Open Microsoft Access 2013
Type "Northwind" in the "Search for Online Templates" box at the top of the screen.
Single-click on Desktop Northwind 2007 Sample Database in the result screen.
Provide a filename for your Northwind database in the File Name textbox.
Click the Create button. Access will download the Northwind database from Microsoft and prepare your copy. This may take a few minutes.
Your database will open automatically when it is ready.

What You Need:
- Microsoft Access 2013
- Active Internet connection
SC1.jpg
SC2.jpg
SC3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

In Access 2010, searching Office.com for templates gives two accdb's: Northwind sales web database and Desktop Northwind 2007 sample database. I've downloaded the former and took a look at its macros but don't understand how do you get to see the content of the CalcSubTotal macros you see on the right pane of the attached jpg? I don't see them listed in the Macro list on the navigation pane on the left.
Macro2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you provide a link to the web database?
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Actually, I believe those are data macros. They are similar to triggers in SQL Server, and as I recall, they have their own editor tools. This video claims to show you how.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

Hi Wendell, they indeed are data macros but the video you're pointing to doesn't tell you how to go about fetching an already-created one and seeing its contents.
Hi Hans, if I input "Northwind", Office.com Templates comes up with two templates without showing any links so I put it on OneDrive

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Open the PurchaseOrders table in Datasheet view (there is no Design view for tables in a web database).
Activate the Table tab of the ribbon (under Table Tools).
S069.png
There are buttons for the Before Change, Before Delete, After Insert, After Update and After Delete data macros. If a button is highlighted, the corresponding macro already exists. To see the macro code, click the button. for example for the Before Change data macro:
S070.png
Close the data macro when you're done viewing or editing it.
Best wishes,
Hans

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

Hans, thanks to your input I found out that CalsSubTotal is actually a named macro associated with the PurchaseOrders table so to see it you have to open the PurchaseOrders table in Datasheet view then activate the Table tab of the ribbon and then click the Named Macro button and then click the Edit Named Macro button.