Ginger Snaps

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Ginger Snaps

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NOTE: This is an adaptation of a recipe that appeared in The Toronto Star Saturday, November 30, 2013 in their Cookie Calendar section

Details here
¾ cup (185 ml) butter at room temperature.
2 cups (500 ml) white sugar
3¾ cups (935 ml) all-purpose white flour
2 large eggs
½ cup (125 ml) molasses
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt

Don’t sweat the details. I had a ½ cup of icing sugar lying around, so I used that up and used less white sugar. Also no ground cloves, but not to worry – these are essentially sugar cookies with ginger taste!

I tossed the lot into my bread-maker tub – my favorite mixing device – and ran it for about ten minutes all up. The tub was almost full, so it didn’t mix well. Next time I’ll mix it in two batches – maybe mix all the wet stuff, then add the dry stuff.

I ended up with a lovely paste which I spooned out a heaped teaspoon at a time onto a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray, and popped in a pre-heated 300° oven for twelve minutes.

I felt that my mixture was too runny, so I added a ½ cup white flour to the remaining mass and re-mixed it for three minutes before storing it in a clear plastic tub in the refrigerator.
I’ve been tidying the junk out of my shed for five years, and now can hardly get into the shed

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Ginger Snaps

Post by Rudi »

Never been keen on ginger. In my mind its something you take for a cold, not at tea time.
I prefer Brandy Snaps, though I'm not sure if you have them with tea time either :scratch:

I love the "gooey"ness of these cookies! (They must not be too dry and too brittle!)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.