What Type of Media?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What Type of Media?

Post by BobH »

I have some old VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVD media but I am confused about all the different designations for them.

Would someone please point me to a wiki or give me an education?

:thankyou: in advance!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: What Type of Media?

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:I have some old VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVD media but I am confused about all the different designations for them.

Would someone please point me to a wiki or give me an education?

:thankyou: in advance!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/mul ... lained.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

My search fu was badly tainted yesterday.

Now that I've read the information about the disks themselves, it seems that there is actually no difference in them but that the difference lies in the recording device. Did I get that right?

My mind is more like a boggy morass than a steel trap, these days!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Physically DVD-R and DVD+R look the same but there must be some difference as they are sold as either one or the other, i.e. you don't buy a generic blank DVD and then format it as -R or +R. Nowadays a DVD recoding device will almost certainly be able to cope with either type of disk.

However playback may be more complicated but the burning software will include some sort of 'finalise for playback on any DVD' option so in theory it won't be :grin:

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks, Bob!

My search fu was badly tainted yesterday.

Now that I've read the information about the disks themselves, it seems that there is actually no difference in them but that the difference lies in the recording device. Did I get that right?

My mind is more like a boggy morass than a steel trap, these days!
This is part of an article which talks about the differences.
---------------------------
A DVD-R is a write-once format: once you've burned the data onto that DVD platter, the disk is forever frozen with that information. Add the "W" to that, and you'll find that DVD-RW can be erased or rewritten up to a thousand times. Seems kinda weird, but if you can do so, DVD-RW obviously has significant advantages over DVD-R. DVD-RAM was even more flexible, however, since it let you erase and rewrite sections of an existing DVD, something that you cannot do with DVD-RW.

Moving to the plus side is where things get a bit confusing, because DVD+RW came before DVD+R. The plus formats have the same data storage capacity as the minus formats (4.7GB), but DVD+RW offers faster writing, better internal linking (a technical obscurity you don't have to worry about), and support for drag-and-drop desktop files, which makes it easy to compose the contents of a disk. DVD+R is a write-once format intended to be more compatible with more DVD players, though at this point it seems to be about even with DVD-R, which remains the most compatible computer-burned DVD format.

The entire article is from "Ask Dave Taylor,"
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/whats_the_ ... vdram.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Would someone please point me to a wiki or give me an education?
This week I listened to a podcast http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/audio/2013/may/20/podcast-science-weekly-senseaboutscience-doctorow that included some stuff on Digital Rights Managament (DRM).
You may find it engaging.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace