Junk mail

RonH
SilverLounger

Junk mail

Post by RonH »

I don't use Hotmail very often but I am noticing that 2 -3 Junk Mails are getting through every day, all of a similar type.

They seem to be getting through via something called 'LinkedIn' and even though I block each one the stream continues under different names but always from 'LinkedIn'.
Is there any way of stopping this other than trashing the Hotmail account :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Junk mail

Post by HansV »

What happens if you block @linkedin.com (i.e. without specifying the username)?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Have entered this in Blocking ... thanks Hans.
Will report after some days.
In the meantime enjoy Easter
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well sad to say Hans that your suggested blocking does not stop this junk mail.
It seems that the junk senders are getting more skilled each day :sad:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps the @linkedin.com is only the display value, while the real e-mail address varies.
Sometimes they use your own e-mail address as sender address, since you're unlikely to block that.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I'll check message properties next time to see if there is more information.
I will get them, I will, I will :groan: :groan: :groan:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I am a member of Linkedin but I am not active in the Network. http://uk.linkedin.com/

In brief LinkedIn claims to have over 200 million professionals who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas and opportunities and to stay informed about your contacts and industry, find the people & knowledge you need to achieve your goals and to control your professional identity on-line.

Are the messages you are getting invitations to join from existing members or just mail shots? In the past I received invitations from people I knew or were acquainted with. Since I joined, for which I had a specific purpose, I receive updates about the Network's facilities and occasional reminders about linking with people who are members and known to me. Personally, I do not find the LinkedIn email traffic intrusive and for what it is worth I find the Network utterly benign.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm getting invitations from people I don't know at all, and Gmail sends them straight to the Spam folder. I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't be surprised if following the link in such an invitation would not take me to LinkedIn at all, but either to a site that wants to sell me something, or to a site that harms my computer...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your comments Malcolme & Hans.
I have not opened many of the LinkedIn mail shots but they are trying to sell me something.
What I object to is that I cannot block this 'professional' site/members from sending me mail that I do not want. I can stop advertising material at my 'paper' mail box, I can stop sellers from contacting me via my mobile but I have no apparent control over this professional organisation. And I do not think that they can guarantee 'no harm to my computer' from 'sellers' that are using their facility for illegit actions.

I am going to try to contact them ... will post the outcome
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Ron,

I'm not convinced that these e-mails really come from LinkedIn. Just as with e-mails claiming to be from Microsoft (you have won the Microsoft Lottery!) or from a US Bank (please provide your login details!), the sender address may be faked.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good morning Hans,
Just in case they do come from LinkedIn members, I have sent LinkedIn an email ... will post their reply.
If all else fails then I could trash my Hotmail account. But then contact with Microsoft Forums gets challenging as I recall eg you can't post in them. Or has this policy changed :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could create a new Microsoft account for access to the Microsoft forums. You can use an existing e-mail address for this account or get an Outlook.com address (Outlook.com is the successor to Hotmail). With your Microsoft account, you can login to SkyDrive, all Microsoft forums and Outlook.com.

You can sign up at https://signup.live.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Can you share the internet headers from one of these emails. You can obscure your own email address before you post, I just want to see the information about where this has come from.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Stuart,
Just now I have none of these emails ... have junked them. I am in contact with LinkedIn and they are investigating but if I get another I will take a look at Properties and post info. I have also taken Hans advice and opened a new Outlook.com address and will be trashing the Hotmail one following comment from LinkedIn. I only use it for Microsoft so a complete new address in Outlook.Com was the best solution.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I ma not suggesting that these 'LinkedIn' junk emails came from members of LinkedIn but since I contacted them I have not received any more to trash :clapping:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that. Let's hope it stays that way! :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just to close this thread ... might help others if they get pestered.
LinkedIn.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

Helen
NewLounger

Junk mail

Post by Helen »

I have a good way to stop repeat junk mail. I take all of the postage paid envelopes and switch the contents and mail them back. Almost anyone I do it to takes me off their list.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

What a top idea Helen!
Thanks Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.