Windows 8 classic view

jmt356
SilverLounger

Windows 8 classic view

Post by jmt356 »

Is there a classic view in Windows 8 that makes it look and behave like Windows 7? Specifically, I want to get rid of the beginning page that I need to get through each time I want to get to my login page at startup and I want to bring back the Windows 7 window button the bottom left that I can click to type the name of a program, file or window (e.g., Folder Options) to quickly pull it up.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 8 classic view

Post by HansV »

I'd recommend getting used to the new interface for a while, it will soon become familiar.
But if you really want to go back, you might give StartIsBack a try. It's cheap, and you can try it out first.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a read at http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-wi ... s-8-208963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

jmt356 wrote:Is there a classic view in Windows 8 that makes it look and behave like Windows 7?
Having tried several utilities I found Stardock's Start8 offering at $5 for registration near enough to Windows 7 start-up as suited me. http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
There is no way I could get used to the default despite patience, perseverance and even prayer! In my opinion, Windows 8 is an excellent operating system but for a PC user the start-up is unacceptable.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If you were using a "Touch Screen" it just may work better, but for those of us, not using a touch screen, then yes these add on's are going to be a Blessing.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I find the Windows 8 screen that appears before logon unnecessary and annoying as I have to get through it to log on.

I don't like that to pull up Apps, Settings or Files I have to tell Windows 8 what I am looking for. In Windows 7, you can type anything in the Start menu and Windows 7 automatically pulls it up. If you type, for example, "Folder Options" in the Windows 8 Start menu, it does not find anything unless you click "Settings."

In many instances, what could be done easily in Windows 7 now requires extra steps in Windows 8.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

what could be done easily in Windows 7 now requires extra steps in Windows 8
You need to step back and remember that Windows 8 was designed first of all to run on a Tablet or phone touch screen. So most of these extra steps are the result of the requirements of the touch screen on these small devices.

Have you tried any of the third party add ins that are listed in my link above?
A couple of them will solve some of your issues.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

To search apps Win+Q.
To search files Win+F.
To search settings Win+W.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

As far as I know, all of the PC keyboard shortcuts still work in Windows 8.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Full list of keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8 & Windows RT with the new ones listed at the top.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Dave A (Post=94220): Why is HP loading on its laptops an OS meant for tablets or smart phones?

JoeP (Post=94227): Thank you! Very helpful.

DaveA (Post=94233): I do not believe all of the PC keyboard shortcuts still work in Windows 8. For example, in Windows Explorer in Windows 7, alt + V + L activated list view. Now it does nothing. The furthest I get is to the View dialogue (alt + V), and then I have to click on my choice.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In File Explorer, ALT+V+L get you to the view layout section. From there, use either the arrow keys or tab key to get to different selections in the layout section.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

JoeP wrote:In File Explorer, ALT+V+L get you to the view layout section. From there, use either the arrow keys or tab key to get to different selections in the layout section.

Joe
This is an example of the extra steps I am talking about: in Windows 7, alt + V + L got you to list view. Now, you need to enter alt + V + L and then get to list view with the arrow keys, tab button or mouse.

I find in general, Windows 8 requires more steps than Window 7.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just downloaded StartIsBack and within about 60 seconds, my Start button was back.
Regards,

JMT

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:Full list of keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8 & Windows RT with the new ones listed at the top.
Thanks Joe.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace