Internet Explorer 8 - no thanks

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Internet Explorer 8 - no thanks

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
IE 8 is very slow and fails to load some pages. I can't load Yahoo Bookmarks, but can do so in seconds from the Opera browser.

Is it still a beta edition? If so, why is it a Windows Update/Important update - and why are they advertising it on telly? It doesn't work properly..

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Internet Explorer 8 - no thanks

Post by HansV »

Internet Explorer is not in beta, and it works very well for me - I use both IE8 and Firefox 3.6 and can't detect a significant difference in speed.

But I never touch anything associated with Yahoo...
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

agibsonsw wrote:Hello.
IE 8 is very slow and fails to load some pages. I can't load Yahoo Bookmarks, but can do so in seconds from the Opera browser.

Is it still a beta edition? If so, why is it a Windows Update/Important update - and why are they advertising it on telly? It doesn't work properly..

Andy.
Hi,
IE8 works well for me and I've never had any issues with it. I think browsers tend to be a bit like AV software - everyone's got their favourite plaudit/horror stories! Now, if you were talking about IE7, then I'd be one of the horror category!
Regards,
Keith

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

agibsonsw wrote:Hello.
Have you tried Importing Yahoo bookmarks into IE8?
Regards,
Bob

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. But too late! I manually re-created my bookmarks in Google Bookmarks. This is handy because, with iGoogle, I can view my Bookmarks and Google Mail
on the same page (although I miss the page previews I had with Yahoo Bookmarks).
I still find IE 8 slow and occasionally pop back to Opera when I need a burst of speed.
(I need IE because some Microsoft features I use insist on IE being the default browser..) Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

Re: Internet Explorer 8 - with Windows XP Professional

Post by CharliesDaughter »

I just wanted to mention that although I've no problems up to this point, a couple of days ago I started having a problem with IE8 when I am signed on to Yahoo mail. I use Yahoo mail only when I'm in the office so I can pick up personal messages without setting up a separate account on the office computers. What happens is that I may be reading an e-mail, hit reply and IE totally close down. Or I may hit Forward; it hasn't yet happened when I press New Mail, but whatever is happening closes IE down totally, regardless of how many windows I have open.

I am using IE 8 with Windows XP Professional at work. I have Windows 7 at home and have not experienced this at home. I have not added software to this computer prior to this happening.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried compatibility mode?
- Go to Yahoo Mail
- Select Tools | Compatibility View so that this item becomes checked.
- If that is not possible, select Tools | Compatibility View Settings.
- Enter mail.yahoo.com in the box and click Add.
Best wishes,
Hans

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

Hans, you never cease to amaze me! I have now done this and will advise once I've tested it a day or so.

Thanks once again. What would we do without you?

CD

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

It is still happening! When I go into Tools, Compatibility View is grayed out, but I selected Compatibility View Settings. I then added mail.yahoo.com, but the computer keeps changing it to just yahoo.com na I am still experiencing those shut downs.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In itself, it shouldn't be a problem that mail.yahoo.com is changed to yahoo.com.

I found several threads on other forums that specifying compatibility view solved problems with Yahoo Mail. It's a pity that it doesn't for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

It is still happening, although I changed to "display all websites in compatibility view". I have reset my Windows settings totally and run a fix that I got from Microsoft which also didn't work. Quite a problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to access Yahoo Mail?
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

CharliesDaugher wrote:It is still happening, although I changed to "display all websites in compatibility view". I have reset my Windows settings totally and run a fix that I got from Microsoft which also didn't work. Quite a problem.
Is your work machine up to date with patches?

Joe
Joe