Java usage in banking

RonH
SilverLounger

Java usage in banking

Post by RonH »

Interesting problem ... anyone know the answer please.

I need Java for banking and have only Version7 Update 5 on both of my pc's, one a Vista IE9 and the other Windows7/64bit (but using the 32bit IE9). Our bank has just updated its web page etc.

The Vista pc can access their netbank using the Java for security coding to get into account but the Windows7 pc will not allow access ... one gets a message that Java6 Update 25 has to be installed! However, pre the bank web update and Java7 Update5, I had successfully accessed using Windows7 with Java7 Update4.

I am trying to get a straight answer from the bank but so far still waiting.

Question: Can the way Java is 'presented' to a web page be different with Vista distinct Windows7? Or is it simply that I have a Windows7/Java problem although all tests show that I do have the latest installed. Should I totally uninstall Java and reinstall ... this I guess would include their Control Panel as well as the Java7 update5 software.

Would appreciate expert advice so I can do 'battle' with the bank techos should this be needed. :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Java usage in banking

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ron,
My bank site needs Java to work to input my log-in details. I use FF as my browser on which I have Noscript addon, it must allow it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ron, I think the problem is on the bank's side, not on yours.
If it's inconvenient for you to wait until they get their act together, you could uninstall Java 7 update 5 from the Programs and Features control panel, then reinstall Java 7 update 4 from Java 7 downloads, or if you wish Java 6 update 25 from Java 6 downloads.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your replies.
Yes Hans, I reckon that you are correct eg bank have the issue, not me! I can afford to wait since I can access from the Vista Java7/5 without difficulty. I have been trying to make phone contact with their tech support but :groan:

I am curious ... Vista and Windows7 Operating Systems differ in their 'presentation' to a 'web site' with Java? Is there a simple technical reason which explains :scratch:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for the difference in behavior.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If your Windows 7 PC worked with Java 7U4 and not Java 7U5 the first thing I'd try is to completely uninstall Java and reinstall Java 7U5. Then if it still does not work I'd uninstall Java 7U5, install Java 7U4 and wait for the next update.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just for info ... the bank finally admitted ...
We can now confirm that we have issues with windows 7 and bankid and java 7 update 5
I will advice our technical support with the information about wich system, browser ect. you are using to aid in finding a solution.

Doesn't it make you happy that they keep you in the dark. Bit of mushroom management maybe :groan:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I had to uninstall Java 7 update 5 at work this week, and reinstall Java 6 update 33, because a third-party application failed to work correctly.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:I had to uninstall Java 7 update 5 at work this week, and reinstall Java 6 update 33, because a third-party application failed to work correctly.
Hei Hans,
I first thought of doing the Java7 uninstall first but found that you can install Java6 Update 33 'on top. Then in the Java Control Panel you can choose which version you want to use ... I have set mine for Java7 but when I go nettbanking I can swap it temporarily to Java6 via the Java tag. As soon as the bank have solved '7' I will fully delete 6.

Have fun
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

RonH wrote:Just for info ... the bank finally admitted ...
We can now confirm that we have issues with windows 7 and bankid and java 7 update 5
You're lucky it's only an issue with Java.... :crazy:

(And for the record, the backlog is still being sorted...)
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

You are so right Leif ... I read about your UK bank situation.
I'm hoping that my bank's problem is only Java ... or are they not admitting some other nasty :groan:
I will keep a close eye on my accounts ... not that I have much ... :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Ron, the company that created the application told me that the version we're using can't handle two versions of Java being installed. They have a new version out that can, but for other reasons we can't use that one yet... Isn't software fun?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I found the same Hans ... if I left both versions Enabled in Java Control/Java/View I had the same problem ... Java 6 would not work on my nettbank. But making 7 inactive by removing the tick & saving, it worked just fine.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.