How to uninstall Win7 Photo Viewer

gluepack
NewLounger

Re: How to uninstall Win7 Photo Viewer

Post by gluepack »

That sounds like a dud card slot, I've never come across an SD slot that doesn't work on spring loaded push to eject.
Well, you learn something new every day. I have been grasping and pulling the insert out of my Acer laptop and cursing it, like Bigaldoc, when having to retrieve the card from it but Ken, you are right, it is spring loaded. (Lol, I just read the manual too, it tells you to "push". Duh!)

As far as my desktop system is concerned, I gave up on the card slots working long ago (probably a dust thing and they aren’t spring loaded but that may be a dust thing as well) but I was fortunate enough to get a Fuji USB XD reader free as a promotion with my Fuji camera and I use that (although that sometimes has problems, probably a dust thing too).

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Just buy another card so that when you take one out the other goes in.
Mmmm, an extra card. I could have got one today as well as I cancelled a mobile phone contract and had accumulated points that would have bought me one.
Windows Explorer is my "friend" and unlike a lot of people who look for alternatives, I've never objected to that part of Windows, including Windows 7...
I can’t operate without it and have to have everything including hidden files/folders, file types, detail display, etc. although I have to say that working with images, thumbnails are pretty handy sometimes. I detest the (apparent) loss of control in newer versions of Windows.

I'm still not convinced that there is nothing that can be done about the driver method. I can understand the initial invocation of Control Panel perhaps not being modifiable/enhanceable but I don’t understand how it can further maintain control of the invocation of Explorer or, subsequently, PV. However, as I said, it is now immaterial as a) the Fuji FinePix software is invoked when using the cable and b) I’ve taken the sensible advice and decided to refrain from using USB in favor of using the card directly.

However, another thing that I thought of as a good reason perhaps for not removing the card is the flimsy plastic attachments they use for the covers of compartments like that. My partner’s camera’s battery cover hinge broke soon after she bought it and now she has to use tape to keep it closed. Unfortunately, the only place to “stick” the tape is over the card compartment, lol, so quite a rigmarole every time she has to change batteries or access her card..

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:That sounds like a dud card slot, I've never come across an SD slot that doesn't work on spring loaded push to eject.
Well, you're absolutely correct, Ken. I have three HP PDF files I downloaded when I got the laptop for it came with ZERO documentation. The reference guide clearly says PUSH to remove.

Unfortunately, mine doesn't work and I looked inside with a flashlight and all I can see are the contact points, no "peripheral" mechanisms that I can tell. This laptop was a refurb so I don't know if they put in a different mechanism or not. For no more often than I use the slot, I don't think it's worth sending the machine in for warranty repair, so I may just learn to live with it.

Thanks for the tip. At least the OP got something out of it. :clapping:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

You were right the first time, Al. I just tried inserting and removing an SD card from my wife's HP laptop. There is no spring-loaded mechanism. The card does not fully insert. There is an (about) 1/8 inch protrusion that must be grasped to remove the card. The slot is labeled SD/MMC.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My HP EliteBook 6930p has a sprung-loaded SD card slot at the front under the trackpad
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PaulB wrote:You were right the first time, Al. I just tried inserting and removing an SD card from my wife's HP laptop. There is no spring-loaded mechanism. The card does not fully insert. There is an (about) 1/8 inch protrusion that must be grasped to remove the card. The slot is labeled SD/MMC.
That describes mine exactly, including the amount of protrusion, Paul.

yall
NewLounger

Post by yall »

If the Win7 Photo Viewer disturbs you, you can rename the files "PhotoAcq.dll", "PhotoBase.dll" and "PhotoViewer.dll" under C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\ as well as the files "PhotoAcq.dll" and "PhotoViewer.dll" under C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\en-US.
If a pop-up appears saying you need administrator rights to rename these files, but trying to rename these files as an administrator or by taking possession of them or by using the unlocker tool or other ways all not work, then shut down your computer.
Then remove the harddisk of your computer and attach it to a computer which has the old Windows 98SE (with a NTFS-driver installed) running. When the partition where Win7 is installed on the external harddisk is mounted within good old Win98SE, then open the folder X:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and X:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\en-US and rename all these files (you can also delete them under Win98SE, but that is not necessary: once these files are renamed, you won't see the Photo Viewer any more ! ).
When done, unmount the external harddisk of Win98SE, install it into the original computer again, start Win7 and try to open the Photo Viewer or try to open any image by the Photo Viewer : it will not work anymore ! Then you can install an other photo viewer, e.g. Irfanview.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

yall wrote:...Then remove the harddisk of your computer and attach it to a computer which has the old Windows 98SE (with a NTFS-driver installed) running... ...Then you can install an other photo viewer, e.g. Irfanview.
Removing the HHD and connecting it to another computer so yuo can rename files is a very, very, hard way to disable a piece of software. Especially since the install routine for Irfanview (and almost certainly for Faststone Image Viewer as well) asks you with file types you want to be associated with it, which means Windows will use Irfanview to open those file types.

Ken