How to uninstall Win7 Photo Viewer

Teunis
3StarLounger

How to uninstall Win7 Photo Viewer

Post by Teunis »

In my Win7 32 HP setup Windows Photo Viewer interferes with IrfanView 4.28. How to get rid of Photo Viewer?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to uninstall Win7 Photo Viewer

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, you can't uninstall Windows Photo Viewer. You should let IrfanView take over all associations for image file types in its Options dialog.

I found one suggestion to disable Photo Viewer. I haven't tested it myself, I don't have the key mentioned below.

- Click Start, type Regedit, then click Regedit.exe.
- Allow it.
- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\Image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers.
- Delete the key ShellImagePreview.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hans,

I found that Regedit trick too. Unfortunately, in my registry I cannot find the ..\Image\.... Instead of Image, there is the grahics extebsion itslef, e.g. \.jpg\.., ..\.png\.. etc. for each image file sub-key after SystemFileAssociations, e.g. ...\jpg\.jpg\..

The problem occurs when I plug in my small Fujifilm digital camera. It is only shown in Devices and Printers, not as a separate flash drive. Whenever I open de DCIM folder where the .jpg files are stored, I very briefly see the IrfanView icon, which then changes to a small thumbnail picture. Clicking one opens the Photo Viewer, which I don't want, I want Irfanview to open it.
When I change the view to details, Irfanview icons are shown next to each .jpg. However clicking them still opens the Photo Viewer instead of Irfanview.

In all folders on the internal HD, .jpg files show the Irfanview icon, and clicking them opens them correctly in Irfanview.
Any ideas?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you scrolled down to below the extensions?
x429.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Try right clicking a .jpg file, select Open With > from the menu, and then Choose default programme...
StuartR

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Teunis wrote:Hans,

I found that Regedit trick too. Unfortunately, in my registry I cannot find the ..\Image\.... Instead of Image, there is the grahics extebsion itslef, e.g. \.jpg\.., ..\.png\.. etc. for each image file sub-key after SystemFileAssociations, e.g. ...\jpg\.jpg\..

The problem occurs when I plug in my small Fujifilm digital camera. It is only shown in Devices and Printers, not as a separate flash drive. Whenever I open de DCIM folder where the .jpg files are stored, I very briefly see the IrfanView icon, which then changes to a small thumbnail picture. Clicking one opens the Photo Viewer, which I don't want, I want Irfanview to open it.
When I change the view to details, Irfanview icons are shown next to each .jpg. However clicking them still opens the Photo Viewer instead of Irfanview.

In all folders on the internal HD, .jpg files show the Irfanview icon, and clicking them opens them correctly in Irfanview.
Any ideas?

Regards, Teunis
One of the cameras I own is a Fujifilm FinePix S5000. If I connect it to my PC I can chose (in the menus on the camera) between two modes. One is DSC (Mass storage device) Mode and in that mode I can see it like a flash drive when I connect it. The other is PC CAM (PC camera) mode and in that mode I can use it as a webcam.

Maybe you need to look at the menu options on the camera and see whether you can select a different mode.

Ian

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hans,

Indeed I had not yet scrolled down to ..\Image\..See file attached. However, it makes no difference, the problem remains. (BTW please tell me how to insert a screenshot in this text. I can't work it out.)

Stuart,

There is no "openwith", only "Open" and "preview". When I just click the file (with the Irfanview icon), Windows Photo Viewer opens, the same with "preview". When I click "open", Irfanview opens after some delay and does not show the full list, so I cannot move forward and backward through the list.

Ian,

Mine is a very simple JX220, and it shows only USB when connected, there is no specific menu choice.

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your help.
After reading the manual again I come to the conclusion that I MUST use the FinePix Viewer software that comes with the camera. What a nuisance. OR what I just did, copy all the files to the computer and then use Irfanview, which works

Regards, Teunis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Teunis wrote:(BTW please tell me how to insert a screenshot in this text. I can't work it out.)
After browsing to the file and clicking "Add the file", a new button will appear: Place inline.
x431.png
Click in the text, then click this button.
Best wishes,
Hans

gluepack
NewLounger

Post by gluepack »

Has anyone resolved this problem?

Well, I don't want to uninstall Photo Viewer I just want to use my default graphics program (like the OP, IrfanView) to open the images.

I have a Fuji FinePix S6500 that, when hooked up via USB, the content displays via All Control Panel Items>Devices and Printers>FinePix S6500fd and, when I choose Browse Files they display courtesy of a version of Explorer that shows...

FinePix S6500fd
xD Picture Card

there is no Explorer menu and there is no ability to expand the folders on the card in the left hand pane, only the right hand one, no ability to switch from thumbnails to details in the right hand pane and no right-click "open with" option.

As per the OP, the IrfanView logo displays in place of the images initially, as they are loaded, they all say that they are IrfanView JPG files and yet upon selecting they are displayed in Photo Viewer. Not only that, it is a cut down version of PV in as much as all menu options are greyed out so, effectively, you can't do anything with the image.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge! You may not be able to solve this if you connect the camera to the computer.
You may, however, be able to take the SD card out of the camera and plug it into your computer directly. (My PC has an array of card readers; there are also SD-to-USB adapters). If so, you might well have more options. If I connect my Panasonic camera to my PC, I can view and download, but not edit or delete images on the camera. But if I insert the SD card into the PC's card reader, I can edit and delete images on the card.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I also do something similar to Hans' procedure. I use an external card reader and take the card from the camera, using the reader instead.

It's also worth noting that the FREE FastStone Image Viewer will read and display the files on the card and has built in editing features that I find more "friendly" than Irfanview.

gluepack
NewLounger

Post by gluepack »

Well, of course, you are right.

I have both internal and external card readers and I could also just drag the files to somewhere else within Explorer and access them fine using IrfanView there.

However, I am more intrigued by
  • why Win 7/Explorer behaves in that way (i.e. ignores the default program) and, perhaps more interestingly,
    why Explorer appears as it does
    • no tree for the card,
      no "Options"/Preview Pane/Help available (i.e. no Menu bar) and
      no "Open with" on the right-click menu
    and, perhaps more annoying as at a pinch I don't mind using another product other than IrfanView in some cases,
    why is it not possible to do anything in Photo Viewer when it is invoked?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently the access provided when you connect the camera to the PC is limited. Why? I don't know either, there is probably a technical reason for it.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

gluepack wrote:However, I am more intrigued by...why Explorer appears as it does
I can't explain it either but I'm with Hans, it must be something by design about the way Windows and cameras interact. I'm still on XP and if I connect my Canon 400D then Explorer lists it as a camera not a disk drive. The jpgs are listed and they can be copied but I cannot browse the folder structure of the card using Explorer. Also, Explorer does not list the files correctly. It does not display the .cr2 (RAW) files. Instead it lists the jpgs in duplicate.

If I used the Canon software that came with the camera to manage the files on the camera I'd probably not know any of this as it would all be hidden. I guess the same would be true for other cameras. If you use the 'proper' software that comes with your camera it will handle things correctly.

Our problem is that we understand what a simple task it is to copy files off a card so are confused when, having not installed a dedicated piece of camera software and tried to to it the 'easy way' with Explorer we find it doesn't work as we expect. :grin;

The solution is to take the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader.

Ken

gluepack
NewLounger

Post by gluepack »

Thanks for the responses.

OK, I have loaded the Fuji software (FinePix Viewer) that came with the camera and downloaded an upgrade for Win 7. The implication was that the upgrade wouldn't function if the software wasn't installed but, of course, as the original software wasn't intended for Win 7, it balked several times during installation. However, the upgrade then worked fine.

I'm never keen on that type of (library/album) software and would prefer to work with Explorer. However, at least it invokes the correct graphics editor upon image selection (IrfanView).

I like (crave) definitive solutions and, although you may consider that the Fuji software and/or the card reader are definitive solutions, I would still like to know (although, I guess it is immaterial now) why both Explorer and Photo Viewer both appear(ed) to be basic, virtually functionless, when invoked indirectly in that manner.

Having said all that, the chances of me using the USB cable are now considerably reduced as what I hadn't considered was that it is purely a data cable and it doesn't take much to run the camera batteries down (at least the Fuji software virtually immediately prompts for file transfer to the host whereas the previously installed driver software essentially "encourages" you to work with the files on the camera, obviously at the expense of the batteries) and I am not about to spend out for an adaptor to bypass the batteries.

OK, OK, I get the message. I'll stick to using the/a card reader (you know the problem with that is that a) you may forget to remove it, at least with the built in one in the laptop, and b) that perfect photo op will inevitably come up when the card is out of the camera).

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess there is no perfect solution here...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

gluepack wrote:I'm never keen on that type of (library/album) software and would prefer to work with Explorer.
Which is why I've never bothered with the Canon equivalent and use a card reader
gluepack wrote:I like (crave) definitive solutions and, although you may consider that the Fuji software and/or the card reader are definitive solutions, I would still like to know (although, I guess it is immaterial now) why both Explorer and Photo Viewer both appear(ed) to be basic, virtually functionless, when invoked indirectly in that manner.
We can't be sure but we are convinced it's something to to do with the way Windows is designed it act when a camera is attached to it. Possibly because someone somewhere decided it would be 'difficult' for the average user to be able to cope with copying files without special/magic software purpose written for the particular camera. It may be because earlier versions of Windows (like XP) don't have native functionality to cope with RAW files plus the fact by default Windows insists on hiding file extensions (who ever thought that was a good idea need shooting but I digress) so that 'complexity' would confuse users too.
gluepack wrote:OK, OK, I get the message. I'll stick to using the/a card reader (you know the problem with that is that a) you may forget to remove it, at least with the built in one in the laptop, and b) that perfect photo op will inevitably come up when the card is out of the camera).
:scratch: Just buy another card :grin: so that when you take one out the other goes in.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

On my Nikon COOLPIX P80, when the USB cable was plugged in all I got was a blank screen. It had been working for several years.

Went to 3 different camera shops and they all found that the socket on the camera was damaged. All three of them suggest that one not use the cable, but to remove card and then use it in a card reader. One of these people that I have been to for advice for many years stated, that the cable is the worst way of doing the copying.

Since I had always used the USB cable on many a camera, I had never really looked at my laptop and I did find that I have a built in card reader and it works real fast. My desktop also has one of those multi card reader that I had never used, but I guess I will now.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

gluepack wrote:... that perfect photo op will inevitably come up when the card is out of the camera).
But that's a "procedural" thing that you can control.

I've had a hard time with it too, but I've "trained" myself never to take the card out of my two cameras unless I'm gonna copy pictures to the computer. Then, I put it right back in the camera. Fingers crossed, so far I haven't forgotten.

One footnote, just in case. My desktop is now six years old and doesn't have a built in card reader. I have an external USB reader that works wonderfully, but... The first one I bought (newbie ignorance) did NOT support SDHC cards, so I had to buy another. Luckily my laptop's built in reader does support SDHC.

Windows Explorer is my "friend" and unlike a lot of people who look for alternatives, I've never objected to that part of Windows, including Windows 7...

Edited just to throw this in: I'm disappointed that my HP laptop doesn't have a spring-loaded, push to eject mechanism on the card slot. That doggone card is kinda hard to grasp with the fingers 'cause there isn't much of it sticking out.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:Edited just to throw this in: I'm disappointed that my HP laptop doesn't have a spring-loaded, push to eject mechanism on the card slot.
That sounds like a dud card slot, I've never come across an SD slot that doesn't work on spring loaded push to eject.

Ken