Recycle Bin on XP

steveh
SilverLounger

Recycle Bin on XP

Post by steveh »

Good morning

I have deleted a load of information (folders) from a USB stick and have now found that some of the information is required. I have gone into recycle bin but all that is in there are 3 files that I deleted on Friday and none of the folders that I have deleted today. Do things deleted from a USB stick get moved to somewhere else?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Recycle Bin on XP

Post by Bigaldoc »

steveh wrote:I have deleted a load of information (folders) from a USB stick and have now found that some of the information is required. I have gone into recycle bin but all that is in there are 3 files that I deleted on Friday and none of the folders that I have deleted today. Do things deleted from a USB stick get moved to somewhere else?
Unfortunately Steve, I think deletions from a USB stick will get completely deleted and not moved to the Recycle Bin. I've never done so, but I know it's that way for external USB hard drives, so I think a stick would be the same.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest you NOT use the stick and get yourself a recovery program such as PC Inspector FILE RECOVERY to see if the files can be retrieved from the stick before you write anything else to the device. If the page comes up in German, there is a language selector in the upper right area of the screen.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Removable drives generally don't have a recycle bin. You could try the free utility Recuva (from the makers of CCLeaner) to see if you can recover the deleted files.
The standard version comes with an optional toolbar; the "slim" version doesn't - download from Recuva - Builds.
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Than you both so much

I went straight for the Recuva solution because I knew that it would be easy to use like CC and Defraggler, I will download the one that Al has mentioned for a try as well. I know that people always say the Police can recover deleted files etc. but I cuold not beleive that in 1 hour and 22 minutes Recuva found 55,000+ deleted items from as far back as July 07 and that it could recover over 2/3rds of them even though I use CC Cleaner with the secure file deletion option
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

naldira
NewLounger

Post by naldira »

How do i recover a deleted file from my recycle bin? I accidently clicked empty recycle bin when i actually wanted to take a file out of the recycle bin and put it back in it's folder.
Last edited by naldira on 21 May 2010, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

When a file is deleted, the data itself is not wiped, just the details telling Windows where it is. This allows the operating system to re-use the hard disk space.
If you are lucky and the original data has not been over-written, your only chance is to try a program like the ones Al and Hans suggested above, and the sooner the better.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

naldira wrote:...I accidently clicked empty recycle bin when i actually wanted to take a file out of the recycle bin and put it back in it's folder.
After you have emptied the recycle bin you can no longer recover things from it.

You may be able to use a tool like recuva to get some of your files back, depending on how much data has been written to the disk since you emptied the recycle bin.
StuartR