DVD copying to pc

RonH
SilverLounger

DVD copying to pc

Post by RonH »

Which free software do loungers recommend to copy a dvd into a windows7 64 bit pc.
I am not looking to copy protected dvd's but some family stuff on a dvd ... I want to clean it up a bit and make more copies.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: DVD copying to pc

Post by John Gray »

Personally I'd use Windows Explorer (or an improved replacement), via drag and drop. Am I missing something?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

John,
When I place the dvd into my pc it starts to play as I would expect. How can I drag and drop it?
I must be missing something, not you.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It seems to me the question is more detail on what kind of DVD is it when you say family stuff?

Any DVD or CD can be made to auto-play but is it a homemade movie, or a movie similar to a commercial product which has a different file structure?

If you can stop the DVD from playing, look at its file(s) with Windows Explorer and tell the name or names with extension I think it would help everyone understand.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

RonH wrote:When I place the dvd into my pc it starts to play as I would expect. How can I drag and drop it?
Just stop it playing! Then start Windows Explorer, set up a new folder on your hard disk (or wherever you want) and drag and drop all the folders from the DVD into the newly-set-up folder.
John Gray

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......simple as 1-2-3 with this free software: - for me to say this it must be a cinch (as we brits would say) translated it means a piece of cake. Cheers Dave.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Too ... ckup.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for all your replies. My error ...

Overnight I realised that I need to change my AutoPlay settings to copy the dvd files to my pc. Done :fanfare:
But my WMP will not open .vob so I opened it in Cyberlink's Power Director (which I use for slide/video productions ... great software) and with this programme I can edit, enhance etc and then produce to mpeg2 or other file types.

How can I check which file types my wmp will open ... must be missing a driver :scratch:

As for DVD Smith, I will hold off just now since I can solve my issue without more programmes filling up my brain :flee: Thanks for the input though ... should we add it to our Free Software recommendations?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

VideoLAN (VLC) is usually suggested as the solution to (almost) all codec problems! This really IS a piece of software you need.
John Gray

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

RonH wrote:How can I check which file types my wmp will open ... must be missing a driver...
Check this thread. I play EVERYTHING with WMP but don't have any of those files to test it with. I installed the Shark package.

Codec Comparison

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My WMP has the K-lite codec pack, it plays DVDs.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

A lot of useful info ... thanks folks.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.