Images of the night sky

Argus
GoldLounger

Images of the night sky

Post by Argus »

Several Loungers have posted nice images during the years, some of them showing what we can see up there in the sky.

If one has an interest in images of the night sky then there is a nice Swedish blog. The photographer is very talented, there are also some movie clips, and he sometimes writes comments in English as well.

Around a year ago, Christmas 2010, he posted a, IMO, very nice one at his blog, and it was posted at NASA's APOD, they have used several of his images. With the Polaris, North Star, near the centre of the trails it’s just great with that old church ruin in the winter. He got another image of the same church ruin, with a Geminid meteor passing by, published in National Geographics, menioned in a blog post here. (He did a blog post with both images some week earlier; trying to catch the Geminids around 13-14 December, here, and there is also this link to a time-lapse movie; see if you can spot any. Beautiful.)

It's not that common, but it can happen that we see Northern lights, aurora borealises, in the Stockholm area and other parts of Southern Sweden; here's an interesting photo and video. It's not very strong, but nice. There's also a star trail photo, showing an airplane doing some circles before heading towards Arlanda airport.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Images of the night sky

Post by Leif »

Lovely!

(I see no one has fixed the roof yet... :laugh: )
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I think they built them like that, I've seen many from the same era. :yep: :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Argus wrote:I think they built them like that, I've seen many from the same era. :yep: :grin:
:rofl: Must have done, we have them too. We were only discussing such places a short while ago.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I think I know why: there were no floors above in those buildings, hence no need for a roof; seems to be. :grin:

(Or, I presume, they had a special need to see if the sky is falling; we don't need that nowadays we use apps to get a heads up...)