Cut out my hat

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Cut out my hat

Post by agibsonsw »

Paint.Net (or other recommendation)

Hello. I've never used graphics software before, but thought I should give it a go!

I've installed Paint.Net but can't find the tool I need. I want to cut-out part of an image (a hat) by outlining it (hopefully) and pressing Cut. How do I achieve this please?
Once I've cut the hat I intend to paste it into another image and then I'll need to order it - send backwards(?).

I'm using Paint.Net but would use another (free) tool if it's easier to achieve what I want.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Cut out my hat

Post by Argus »

There is often a bit of a difficulty to cut it out from a finished image, this small, after it has been compressed, resized etc. Many times it doesn't look good. But it can be done. One can often use a free hand tool, similar to this icon,
2011-12-16_A.jpg
to mark the object and then as you say use cut (ctrl-x in most software). Then after pasting it into another image do a little touch up work.

An alternative would be to ask Doc where he found your cap. :smile:

(If one doesn't want to install new software, one can also try http://pixlr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as I mentioned here: Online image editor. But I don't think it is going to be easier with this one, same tools as most, just online.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello Argus and thank you.

I found the lasso tool but it's a bit of a challenge with the trackball I'm currently using - might have to switch to a mouse pro-tem :smile:

Guess it would be easier to find an image which is just a hat/cap, rather than trying to cut it.

(I was assuming Doc drew the cap..) Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hi, Andy
Have a look here
I'm sure you'll find a hat to fit!
Cheers
Silverback

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

silverback wrote:Hi, Andy
Have a look here
I'm sure you'll find a hat to fit!
Cheers
Silverback
I was searching "christmas " rather than "santa hat" :laugh:. I wonder if hats come in monster size?

I think I'll leave it a bit anyway - I can never get enthused about graphic apps - I think it's the obscure jargon that's involved that I find off-puting :groan: