Windows Installer Service Could Not be Accessed

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Windows Installer Service Could Not be Accessed

Post by JimmyC »

Windows Server 2008, SP2; 64 Bit --operating as a terminal server. I have had no unusual Server behavior prior to this event.

I tried to install MS SQL client server on this server and rec'd the following message: " The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Unfortanately, myself and the accountant are the support personnel and have admin priviledges. We tried the MS SQL server install on another Windows Server 2008, SP2 that we use and it installed properly. So I know that the MS SQL install files are ok. The Windows installer on the troublesome server is Ver4.5--which is the current version. We cannot update or modify or re-install the windows installer either--perhaps this is by design.

Since this is a production server---servering 3 remote offices, I need to be very careful in my trouble shooting, etc. I have googled and have found some "suggested" registry hacks, etc---but none of the solutions are aimed directly at my issue so I am hesitant to start hacking a production server's registry in hopes of a random cure.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks. JimC

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Installer Service Could Not be Accessed

Post by HansV »

Have you tried right-clicking the install program or shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the context menu? In recent versions of Windows, you are not *the* Administrator, even if you have administrator privileges.
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans, I thought that I tried that...but tried again just to be sure--still a no go. The sql installer, starts to load the support set-up files (i.e. this is the set-up message displayed) and then immediately the message/dialog box in my first post appears. Of course, your only choice is to click ok...and then the message box closes. Thanks for your help.
JimC

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I'll have to leave this one for the Windows experts. I hope they can help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans---thanks for your quick reply. JimC

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you checked to see that the Windows Installer service is not disabled?

Even though the procedure does not say it is for your version of Windows try the method to re-register the installer at Error message when you add or remove a program.

Joe
Joe

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Joe, Thanks...I will try these. One thing I am looking for---and I am not the "best" at internet searching is instructions on how to re-install windows installer ver 4.5 for a 64 bit 2008 sp2 server. I have found articles / instructions for other operating software (server 2003) and older versions of windows installer (4.0)---but no instructions specific to my server operating software and windows installer ver 4.5..maybe I am missing the obvious....so any guidance is apprecaited. THANK YOU!!!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Installer 4.5 is integrated into Server 2008 SP2. See Hotfixes for Installer 4.5 & 5.0. You'd have to do a repair install of Windows to repair it.

Joe
Joe

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Joe--thanks for the information. I was really hoping not to do a repair install of Windows---as in my experience this creates more issues and you end up doing a new install from scratch to get everything working again. I will try the repair install alternative this weekend when users are generally not logged into the server (terminal server). Again, thanks