Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

BilasTasol
NewLounger

Re: Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Post by BilasTasol »

I have read through all five pages, looking for an ftp program to upload a website.
I can find free ones on Google, but I was looking for one with a Lounge recommendation.
Anyone able to recommend one they've used please?
Regards,

Tony.

http://www.sylviahugheswilliams.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

At work now we use WinSCP. I find this to be a very easy to use software for FTP.
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who will you Inspire today?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have used WinSCP with good results too.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I use CoreFTP http://www.coreftp.com/ but my usage is very slight. I only every upload a small number of pages to the free webspace I get from my ISP.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BilasTasol wrote:I have read through all five pages, looking for an ftp program to upload a website....
I don't know if it is peculiar to my domain host (1&1), but having set up ftp access, I can just log in via my browser bookmark, then open up the site with Windows Explorer. It is then available as if it was another drive, and I can copy, drag, paste, delete - whatever I want. (See here for an overview.)
Leif

BilasTasol
NewLounger

Post by BilasTasol »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone with WinSCP, which does what I need.

Thanks again.
Regards,

Tony.

http://www.sylviahugheswilliams.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry to be late on this. I've used Filezilla for years to do exactly as you want - to upload the HTML for a website. I recommend it.
Last edited by BobH on 27 Jul 2015, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BilasTasol
NewLounger

Post by BilasTasol »

Thanks, Bob
Regards,

Tony.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif wrote:I don't know if it is peculiar to my domain host (1&1), but having set up ftp access, I can just log in via my browser bookmark, then open up the site with Windows Explorer. It is then available as if it was another drive, and I can copy, drag, paste, delete - whatever I want. (See here for an overview.)
I also use 1&1, Leif and since I also use Clavier+ my steps are a bit shorter than the 1&1 tutorial.

I have a hot key created in Clavier+ with ftp: //my account:my password@ ftp.alhoffman.org/ (using my info, of course; couple of spaces in there so as not to confuse The Lounge software).

So, I open Windows Explorer, use the hot key in the URL box and I have instant access to my domain.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

An UK Computer Magazine has produced a list of 20 free alternatives to Windows built-in utilities. Some are old favourites, like xplorer2, Image Resizer, Autoruns, VLC Media Player, CDBurnerXP (which also works very well on DVDs and on Windows 7!)...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I haven't searched The Lounge to see whether I learned of it here, John, but one of the programs on their list is outstanding for its features.

I use TERACOPY just about every time I want to copy or move more than one file. I think I started using it because of problems I was having copying files to an SDHC card for my camera. If the copy fails, you had to start all over again. With Teracopy you can skip a problem file and keep on going. I don't know that it's any faster than Windows Explorer's function but it sure is much more effective.

I highly recommend Teracopy to all.

PS: I did search while I was proofreading and it seems I did learn of it back in the "other place."

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Another PS for you, John.

I believe it was you, a long time ago, who recommended Space Sniffer, also on their list, but I could be wrong. At any rate I use it periodically.

I just downloaded a copy of their recommended Advanced Renamer (Advanced Renamer) to see if it's any better than the one I picked up from a recommendation here in The Lounge. (ReNamer)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Some very useful looking tools in that list. Thanks for posting it, John. I will give some of them a try.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

djohnson123
NewLounger

Post by djohnson123 »

I use DesktopOK ( http://www.softwareok.com/?site=Freeware/DesktopOK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )to remember my desktop layout. It works really nicely and can store lots of layouts.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Came across the following interesting article about FREE WordPress themes; eight of the first ten found in a Google search had hidden, possibly malicious, code; and one was iffy. The article lists several decoders/exploit scanners, how they were used, and what they found.

http://wpmu.org/why-you-should-never-se ... here-else/
Sundog

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

My new best friend is PicPick screen capture (free) software :clapping:

It's editor looks similar to, but is much better than, Paint, and can be used as a replacement for this;
It can capture scrolling windows and repeat a capture;
You can produce a color palette, color picker, protractor, whiteboard without capturing anything.

Best thing I've come across in a while :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hey BigAl,

You quoted above:
I just downloaded a copy of their recommended Advanced Renamer (Advanced Renamer) to see if it's any better than the one I picked up from a recommendation here in The Lounge. (ReNamer)

What's your take on Advanced Renamer vs. ReNamer?
I still prefer ReNamer (maybe 'cos I'm used to it...and it still feels easier to use.)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think I may be in your camp, Rudi. I didn't much care for it, so I didn't really use it. I like Renamer as its "rules" are comfortable for me.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Yip! ReNamer has a simple interface with a lot of settings and tweaks hidden in dialogs whereas Adv. Renamer has a more complex (busy) interface. I like software with a simple design and many settings out of view!
TX
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

wex[hr]
NewLounger

Post by wex[hr] »

Truecrypt 7.0a or later !!!

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Last edited by HansV on 08 Nov 2011, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove unsuitable language