Re: $RECYCLE.BIN and 0x000008E stop messages

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I have a couple of issues which I would like some help in resolving:

1. The first is concerning the $RECYCLE.BIN folder. It is displayed on ALL drives even though "Hide protected system files" is checked. Unless I'm mistaken, this folder should not be displayed by default unless that option is unchecked. So, how can I resolve this issue so that this folder is not displayed?

2. The second is far more serious. I continually, although sporadically get BSODs with the stop message "0x000008E (Cx0000005...). There doesn't seem to be any consistency to why it happens, i.e., I cannot reproduce it at will. Here is what I have done:
- Run Mem86 to test the RAM which passes without error
- Installed the latest video drivers and reverted to early versions which made no difference.
- No new devices nor software has been installed
- Run HDD diagnostic on the main drive (C:\) and the two other drives which all pass.
- All temperatures are well below

One other tidbit of information, the last time I got the BSOD I decided to boot into another system (tri-boot) and I got the unexpected message that Windows wasn't shutdown properly and to choose from the boot menu, e.g., Safe Mode, etc., or Start Windows Normally. I'm curious why I would see that when the BSOD occurred on C:\ drive and not W:\, which is another physical drive???

Brief specs:
- Vista Ultimate 32-bit
- 4 Gigs DDR2 RAM
- MSN-E motherboard
- ATI Radeon 4670 (new edition) video card
- WDC WD50 01AALS-00L3B SCSI HDD (C:\)
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The Recycle bin has never been hidden when the "Hide System files" has been selected.
It has it own setting, as the default on a new OS install is to have the System files hidden, then a new user would NEVER see the Recycle bin until one was told about it.

Are you getting these BSOD in ALL OS's?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

DaveA wrote:The Recycle bin has never been hidden when the "Hide System files" has been selected.
It has it own setting, as the default on a new OS install is to have the System files hidden, then a new user would NEVER see the Recycle bin until one was told about it.
Maybe I'm losing it? :laugh: I do not remember seeing the $RECYCLER.BIN folder before except when I viewed the protected operating system files. When I uncheck that option the RECYCLER folder also is displayed. And when it is checked, the RECYCLER folder is not displayed but $RECYCLER.BIN remains visible. Are you saying this is normal behavior?
DaveA wrote:Are you getting these BSOD in ALL OS's?
I have not had this BSOD happen in either of the other two OS. However, I usually don't spend much time using them... perhaps not enough time to actually see it happen IF it would happen in them. 99% of the time, I'm using my main OS; Vista.

As an additional bit of info which I probably should have added, I have done a thorough scan for miscreants using KIS 2010, Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Combofix, all of which resulted in the system showing as being 100% clean.
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Re: $RECYCLE.BIN and 0x000008E stop messages

Post by JoeP »

Try using Blue Screen View to get more information about the BSOD.

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

JoeP wrote:Try using Blue Screen View to get more information about the BSOD
First off, that is one great little utility!! Thanks for the reference.

Here is the information for these BSODs, which is the same in every case:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini100111-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/1/2011 5:42:25 PM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x85dfa51c
Parameter 3 : 0xdf053bec
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+726c
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+1ee51c
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+22e44f
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+44dcc
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+23a954
==================================================

There is one other file, beside the hal.dll and ntkrnlpa.exe, which is also included in the "effected" files in the bottom window; klif.sys.

Sooooo, whatcha think?
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

klif.sys is part of the Kaspersky security suite. Do you have the most current version installed? Have you checked their forums?

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

JoeP wrote:klif.sys is part of the Kaspersky security suite. Do you have the most current version installed? Have you checked their forums?
Yes, I am aware that the klif.sys file is an integral part of Kaspersky AV/KIS. I do have the latest version installed. In fact, I totally uninstalled it and reinstalled over a week ago in the event that it was behind these BSOD occurrences. On one date, the same BSOD occurred but without the klif.sys involved... just the other two; ntkrnlpa.exe and hal.dll.

Does that help? :)
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Not really. hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer for Windows. It is modified when you install Windows to match your hardware configuration and facilitate the "conversation" between Windows & your hardware. Errors in hal.dll are often driver related and sometimes indicate a pending hardware failure. ntkrnlpa.exe is part of the Windows kernel. Most often crashes involving it are driver related.

Are ALL your drivers up-to-date?

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

As far as I know ALL drivers are current.
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you let the RAM test run for a long time?

Have you opened the PC and reseated the RAM?

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

JoeP wrote:Did you let the RAM test run for a long time?

Have you opened the PC and reseated the RAM?
Sorry for the long delay. I had to find a convenient time to run MemTest-86 for an extended period. Soooooo, ran it for 11 hours and I did get an error. What that error means and if it is significant enough to produce the BSOD referred to above. I didn't get one for a couple days but yesterday it happened again and this time the 'klif.sys' file was not included, just the other two which always are mentioned. I've attached a screenshot of the MemTest-86 screen (couldn't figure a way to save a log file).
Memtest-86_report.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff