Software not completely removed

RonH
SilverLounger

Software not completely removed

Post by RonH »

Recently I purchased a boxed cd version of Cyberlink Power Director 9 having trialled a downloaded version for a couple of weeks prior.
I decided to clean my pc of all (?) traces of the trial before installing the boxed version so that I got a clean install. This included the software, Cyberlink folders (having moved my project to an Ext HD), cleaned the temp and registry files with CCleaner, checked Search for any leftovers and rebooted. Then I installed the cd and updated.
As soon as I opened the new software and before I moved my project back from the Ext HD, I found that my projects and favorites had been 'remembered' meaning that my pc could have not been cleaned of all traces of the trial.

Where else could 'files' have been residing :scratch:
ps PD9 is good software for slide/video editing and production.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Software not completely removed

Post by HansV »

Items like lists of favorites and recently opened files are often stored in the registry, in a subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software.
But they could also be stored in your profile, under C:\Users\<username>\AppData.
CCleaner is a rather "conservative" registry cleaner. This makes it safe to use, but it also means that it doesn't remove ALL traces of an application.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

To avoid this problem of left over junk after an uninstall in future, install Revo Uninstaller now and then use that, not an application's native unistaller or Windows Add/Remove Programs, as the starting point for the uninstall.

Revo is available in both :free: and Pro (=costs money) versions. I can't say for sure but I think the Pro version might be able to help your situation, where you've already uninstalled something but wish to search for left over traces. Read more here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your inputs ... it was the 'Roaming' that I missed.

Interestingly, when I looked into C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink I also found a left over file of Symantic (Norton) even though I had used their 'removal tools' months ago when I dumped Norton in favour of MSE. So how much other xxxx gets hooked into ones pc by stealth :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I second Ken's recommendation of Revo Uninstaller as I'm sure do many other Loungers.

As a matter of fact, I've been using the free version for so long that I've been tempted to "pay" my respects by buying the Pro. I never noticed that in the installed free version there is a 50% off link for buying the Pro version. Hmmm, I AM tempted.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yep ... reckon I should take a looksee thanks. :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:Where else could 'files' have been residing :scratch:
Roughly on-topic:

I have a habit of using my daily "Blotter" dive, B:, to install trial software.
My drive B: arises from a DOS SUBST command to T:\Blotter\20110923 (today).
If I install software on drive B: today, then go to uninstall it (RevoUninstaller et al.) tomorrow, chances are strong that any uninstaller program will trip up because there is now no sign of stuff on drive B:.

This is not likely the cause of your problem; but similar circumstances can thwart the best uninstallers, e.g. installing to a RAM disk, or deleting folders between installation and de-installation.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace