“You need flash player to use this content”

jmt356
SilverLounger

“You need flash player to use this content”

Post by jmt356 »

All at once, about 3 days ago, I started getting errors from many web sites stating that I needed flash player to view them correctly. For example, visiting http://www.speedtest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; displays the follows message:
“Speedtest.net requires at least version 10 of Flash. Please update your client.”

I don’t understand why this has suddenly happened. Did all of the web sites on the net all of a sudden require Flash 10? Or did I have Flash 10 and accidentally uninstalled it?

The worst part about it is that when I go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; install Flash, I get this error message: Flash Player 10.3 is not currently available for your 64-bit web browser. 64-bit Windows and Mac computers include 32-bit browsers that are compatible with Flash Player. For instructions on how to open a compatible browser and run Flash Player, see Flash Player on 64-bit operating systems.

What should I do?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: “You need flash player to use this content”

Post by jmt356 »

I just realized that I was in IE 64-bit. I’m not sure how that happened, but when I open the default version of IE, which I presume is 32 bit, the Flash content shows fine.

It’s remarkable just many web sites use Flash, and how handicapped a computer that doesn’t support Flash can be.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer has many compatibility issues, not just with Flash Player, and it's currently slower than its 32-bit counterpart, so unless you specifically need the 64-bit version, I'd stick with the 32-bit version (which is indeed the default) for now.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer has many compatibility issues .... I'd stick with the 32-bit version (which is indeed the default) for now.
Interestingly, Dell - in the UK at least - are only offering the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on some new desktops. I'm not sure I'd want to get one and find I couldn't run some of our software on it...
Leif

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I run the 64 bit version of Windows 7, but I have both the 32 and 64 bit version of IE installed. Many programs (CCleaner, for example) install both 32 and 64 bit versions. Having the 64 bit version of Windows does not preclude you from using 32 bit versions of applications.
Last edited by PaulB on 12 Sep 2011, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Leif,
I have been running Windows 7 64 bit on several machines, the only issues we have had are real old programs and some utilities need to be for the 64 bit OS. All utilities that we have found that need a 64 bit version, does in fact have such. If you have older printers and scanners then you may have a driver issue.

Other than that I have seen no difference in the OS's, I do have a couple of 32 bit machines here.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As the otheres have mentioned, having 64-bit Windows does not mean that you can run only 64-bit applications. The 32-bit version of IE9 is the default version on 64-bit Windows, and it runs fine there, as does most 32-bit software. You might have problems with older 16-bit software (i.e. programs written for MS-DOS).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've started to look at laptops just recently and a number of them now come with 64-Bit Windows but I'm not intending to obtain any 64-bit versions of applications any time soon.

But would Windows itself run faster? I suppose I could also do a bit of searching to see if anyone has had issues running 32-bit versions of the applications I use/need - this might be a sensible approach.

If I have 64-Bit Windows and a 64-Bit browser app, would that necessarily mean that it would run faster than the 32-Bit version? Probably not (being a cynic :grin: )

I'm forming the impression that choosing 64-Bit Windows over 32-Bit is not the straight-forward "upgrade" one might assume. Andy.

BTW I wonder if someone's already working on a 128-Bit behemoth :fanfare:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Currently, the main advantage of 64-bit Windows is support for more memory.
The total address space for 32-bit Windows is 4 GB, and since some of that is needed for video and some other things, the maximum amount of memory available to applications is about 3 GB (it can be slightly more or slightly less, depending on the configuration). For most purposes, 3 GB is plenty, but there are situations in which more memory would be welcome - for example, if you want to run SQL Server on your computer.

There aren't many 64-bit applications yet, but that will undoubtedly change in the coming years. Currently, 64-bit applications aren't necessarily faster than their 32-bit counterparts. That will probably change too.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

TQ Hans.

I will be using SQL Server but only the Express version - just checked and see that there is a 64-Bit version of this available.

I don't know the ins and outs but perhaps running a 32-Bit app on a 64-Bit computer might not run as fast as running it on a 32-Bit computer?

Sorry to piggy-bag this thread - last question(s) :cheers:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

32-bit applications run perfectly fine on 64-bit Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There are many, many factors affecting performance besides the addressability issue. Bad coding techniques and poor data store designs can bring the fastest machines with the most RAM into the realm of tap your foot and wait.

In my old days with mainframes, addressability (ie, how many megabits the OS could see) was mostly a limiting factor for how large programs could be before paging became an issue and how large data chunks (file size limits and block size constraints). I'm no longer conversant with the limitations imposed by bandwidth addressability, but these were the main ones in the old days.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I suspect that better performance (than the difference between 32 and 64-bit) could be achieved if Microsoft allowed us to decide which Windows features to install - or not - :cheers:.

Languages, fonts, system tools, services, diagnostic features, etc., etc., that I never use and don't need. Just my two cents, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:I suspect that better performance (than the difference between 32 and 64-bit) could be achieved if ...
Perhaps, but that's for another thread - it's far beyond the scope of a thread about Flash Player... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I don’t disagree Hans. But the problem is in my Start Menu, Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer (64 bit) show up next to each other and when I’m in a rush it’s easy to accidentally pick the wrong one. But now I am aware of where these Flash problems originate.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why don't you delete or move the "Internet Explorer (64 bit)" shortcut? Currently there's no need to use this version.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

jmt356 wrote:It’s remarkable just many web sites use Flash, and how handicapped a computer that doesn’t support Flash can be.
That's what a lot of people who buy iPads quickly come to realize!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:Why don't you delete or move the "Internet Explorer (64 bit)" shortcut? Currently there's no need to use this version.
Or, if you use the browser as often as I do, why not simply pin a shortcut to the 32 bit version to your taskbar?
Regards,
Paul

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that's what I've done...
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

PaulB wrote:
jmt356 wrote:It’s remarkable just many web sites use Flash, and how handicapped a computer that doesn’t support Flash can be.
That's what a lot of people who buy iPads quickly come to realize!
Oops!
Regards,
Paul