My trip to Geneva (last weekend)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

My trip to Geneva (last weekend)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

" ... a stroll along the shores of Seneca Lake in Geneva" (About 7/8 the way down the page)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: My trip to Geneva (last weekend)

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:" ... a stroll along the shores of Seneca Lake in Geneva" (About 7/8 the way down the page)
Your expedition looked interesting! Lots of truck traffic too. Do you stay on the Interstate highway or do you try and travel on the secondary roads?
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:Do you stay on the Interstate highway or do you try and travel on the secondary roads?
I use the major highways to reach the minor ones.
For example:
I'll drive the QEW from Toronto To Lewiston bridge, then the I-190 through Buffalo.
If US immigration are being sensible (rare!), I'm at the exit for #219 about 2h20m after leaving Toronto, and that means I'm "in the hills", that luvverly set of rolling hills that takes me to The Southern Tier.
Since the first time I took her there to the latest time, Ms B concedes that we just do not have that sort of scenery in Ontario.
Me I'd drive through the Southern Tier for weeks on end; along the Allegheny, Chemung, Canisteo, Susquehanna, Tioga and Cohocton.
These last two join at Painted Post which has The Hampton Inn. Nicest motel I've stayed in. Ever.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Do you stay on the Interstate highway or do you try and travel on the secondary roads?
I use the major highways to reach the minor ones.
For example:
I'll drive the QEW from Toronto To Lewiston bridge, then the I-190 through Buffalo.
If US immigration are being sensible (rare!), I'm at the exit for #219 about 2h20m after leaving Toronto, and that means I'm "in the hills", that luvverly set of rolling hills that takes me to The Southern Tier.
Since the first time I took her there to the latest time, Ms B concedes that we just do not have that sort of scenery in Ontario.
Me I'd drive through the Southern Tier for weeks on end; along the Allegheny, Chemung, Canisteo, Susquehanna, Tioga and Cohocton.
These last two join at Painted Post which has The Hampton Inn. Nicest motel I've stayed in. Ever.
There was a lot of mention on our news channel about infestation of bedbugs in mattresses.... So my desire for overnight stays in hotels/motels has been dampened for now. Glad you had a really nice place to stay!

Anymore, I will avoid the major highways if at all possible because I don't like the press of traffic bearing down on all sides. It is more peaceful to travel on the slower side roads or minor roads as you called them. More to see too!

Thanks for sharing!

:whisper: I won't mention whether I think our government is sensible since I probably would rant about it and break all sorts of rules! I'll just go drink a cup of coffee and drown the thought in caffeine!

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Skitterbug wrote:...I won't mention whether I think our government is sensible since I probably would rant about it and break all sorts of rules!...
Thank you, much appreciated.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:It is more peaceful to travel on the slower side roads or minor roads as you called them. More to see too!
Yes, like this sort of view towards Danby Dale. You can just see the road (signed as "single track road, no passing places, unsuitable for lorries") on the right of this picture before it dips down into the gloriously named Fryup Dale.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:There was a lot of mention on our news channel about infestation of bedbugs in mattresses...
A lot of mention, but what of measurements?
news channels love fear-raising stories.
There are pockets of bedbugs here in Toronto, and steps are being taken (too slowly IMHO) to eradicate or at least control them, but sometimes I get the impression that every mattress in town is layered with them.

In all my travels by motel in the USA (20+ years) I've not encountered bedbugs, and I've stayed in some pretty cheap motels when I've been doing long-days driving, too!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:It is more peaceful to travel on the slower side roads or minor roads as you called them. More to see too!
Yes, like this sort of view towards Danby Dale. You can just see the road (signed as "single track road, no passing places, unsuitable for lorries") on the right of this picture before it dips down into the gloriously named Fryup Dale.
Ken
Lovely Pic! You are in a beautiful country! Definitely have to travel the little roads to really appreciate the sights. Might be a good idea to fill up the fuel tank before heading out by the looks of this terrain! :yep:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:You are in a beautiful country!
I've mentioned before that the natives refer to the part of the UK where I live as "God's Own County".

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Skitterbug wrote:... Definitely have to travel the little roads to really appreciate the sights...
Brings back a memory of "back in the day" when Billie and I used to travel from Kentucky to Long Island to visit my family. We NEVER drove on interstates or the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We used to pick up (I think) US 22 in Ohio and take it almost all the way to New York, stopping any time we saw something interesting. Took us 1½ days, but we loved the trip, the little towns along the way and all the scenery.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:... the gloriously named Fryup Dale.
And what's more: there is a Little Fryup Dale and a Great Fryup Dale - I always imagine the latter having extra bacon and sausages... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:I always imagine the latter having extra bacon and sausages... :grin:
Same thought went through the minds of two stucklings. :laugh: Imagine their disappointment when all they got as they walked through Great Fryup Dale was a cookie and a bottle of water :sad:

Mind you, the fish and chips in Whitby at the end of the day made up for it! :clapping:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...the fish and chips in Whitby at the end of the day made up for it!
Their menu is seriously tempting :yum:
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Allegedly Rick Stein is a fan too :munch:

Ken