Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, since you found that one that IS NOT free, you probably Googled for it, huh?

In that process you didn't see any free versions?

I've never heard of any that are NOT fee based (shareware).

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Bigaldoc wrote:And, since you found that one that IS NOT free, you probably Googled for it, huh?

In that process you didn't see any free versions?

I've never heard of any that are NOT fee based (shareware).
It was found through a google search and yes no free version was found. Even though you might have never heard of any that are NOT fee based (shareware)

Freewares do exist right?
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

adam wrote:Even though you might have never heard of any that are NOT fee based (shareware) Freewares do exist right?
Good luck!

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

So you're trying to protect your spreadsheets and password protection and built in capabilities aren't enough for you? Or are you trying to distribute a worksheet without having Excel on the target machine? According to the Xcell Compiler features, the EXE still requires Excel to run on the target machine.
Charlotte

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

In this method they cant copy the workbook and the application will look an installation file and yes I know it does require excel.
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thank you...and I hope I could find a freeware from somewhere.
Best Regards,
Adam

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

If this page doesn't help - http://orlando.mvps.org/#ExcelFree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you might find something here - http://www.ozgrid.com/free-excel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

What is the best free software for measuring my download & upload over say a month. I am considering going to mobile broadband given that we can only get about 0.8MB currently on our ADSL due to phone line length. Mobile should at least give us 1-2MB but its not a fixed monthly cost here as is our ADSL whatever amount we down/up load.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know about Norway, but here in The Netherlands, mobile broadband is much more expensive than ADSL...

See NetStat Live (free monitoring software) and How to monitor your Internet bandwidth usage in Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:What is the best free software for measuring my download & upload over say a month.
I didn't use a stand-alone ap for measuring d/l speed, but my rather lengthy essay documents what I *did* do to get Rogers to refund me some money.
What's going on at Rogers?
canada has been handed over to the monopolies.
In Toronto you get a choice of DSL (BELL) or cable (Rogers).
Both firms brag about "increase in number of new subscribers" but fail to admit that it's just all of us shifting from one side of the ship to the other as we get ticked off ...
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:I don't know about Norway, but here in The Netherlands, mobile broadband is much more expensive than ADSL...

See NetStat Live (free monitoring software) and How to monitor your Internet bandwidth usage in Windows.
Thanks for these Hans. Mobile Broadband here is getting quite competitive to ADSL subject to usage which is why I need to do a measure of my traffic. ADSL has a fixed monthly price whereas mobile has a starting price including an agreed amount of up/down load ... thereafter an amount per MB/GB whatever. But of course it is mobile so worth a bit more to some. Throttling of speed can occur if the network is very busy but this also happens with ADSL.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
RonH wrote:What is the best free software for measuring my download & upload over say a month.
I didn't use a stand-alone ap for measuring d/l speed, but my rather lengthy essay documents what I *did* do to get Rogers to refund me some money.
What's going on at Rogers?
canada has been handed over to the monopolies.
Wow Chris ... you certainly conducted indepth investigations.
I have been down a similar track (but not in as much detail). Lots of tests finally got my provider to agree that they could at best deliver 1MB. They then sold the business to another provider (both are large companies in Scandinavia) who said they could deliver 6MB to me ... ha,ha,ha. Wires are wires when all is said and done and condition, line length etc impact on the available speed. Interestingly the provider of our wires (phone wires) is yet another large company! Maybe I need to swap my ADSL provider to the one who lets me use the wired telephone :flee: but I fear I will spend more time and still get maybe 0.8MB. Now when I get rid of wires and just use my mobile for telephone comms ... :hairout:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ron,

I use ShaPlus. Its excellent, simple and very accurate in measuring data transfer with mobile broadband.
See this page for details and download: http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Rudi wrote:Hi Ron,

I use ShaPlus. Its excellent, simple and very accurate in measuring data transfer with mobile broadband.
See this page for details and download: http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/
Thanks for the link Rudi. I have already installed the AnalogX Netstat Live monitor so I will give this a go first ... does anyone know what 0B means?
I seem to have a lot of these but maybe its because I have not used it much ... only installed yesterday.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In another recent thread, NetWorx was mentioned - it's free too.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:In another recent thread, NetWorx was mentioned - it's free too.
Hello again.
I did install AnalogX but have now uninstalled. I was getting a few 'lockups' on my Windows7/64bit/i7 Sandy Bridge ... this may not have been due to AnalogX but since my laptop had been very stable I decided not to continue with what appears to be a rather 'old' software. So I have just now installed your other suggestion of Networx ... it seems to be regularly updated and there is also a lot of user information. I will report if this software seems to adversely affect my laptop.

Thanks for the link Hans
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:Word 2007 can produce PDF files with bookmarks from headings or bookmarks. It's not free, of course, but if you already have Office 2007, you don't need additional software.
Hans, can this produce a "left pane" TOC in the PDF or just a hyperlinked page, as would appear in the Word doc(x)?
HansV wrote:Alan Miller posted a free solution in the Windows Secrets Lounge some time ago: Word DOC to PDF WITH bookmark tree!, but the link to HTMLDOC is not valid any more. HTMLDOC is now available from <HTML>DOC.
Just an (ever so slightly) late update on HTMLDOC. The latest binary compiled for Windows is available from http://htmldoc-binaries.org/ or direct as MSI of HTMLDOC v1.8.27.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

AlanMiller wrote:Hans, can this produce a "left pane" TOC in the PDF or just a hyperlinked page, as would appear in the Word doc(x)?
I assume that depends on the PDF Reader you're using. I use Foxit Reader, and this does display a table of contents "tree" in the Bookmarks pane for a PDF file created from a Word document:
x765.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:I assume that depends on the PDF Reader you're using. I use Foxit Reader, and this does display a table of contents "tree" in the Bookmarks pane for a PDF file created from a Word document
Thanks Hans. I'll give it a whirl in Adobe reader.

Alan

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Looking for software that tracks your time, gives reports, and is easy to use? We recently started using http://www.toggl.com/. It gives quite a few abilities in the free version. Nice for a contractor to keep track of time per customer.
Who will you Inspire today?