Trouble installing Adobe Flash Player

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Trouble installing Adobe Flash Player

Post by Gloria E »

I'm having so many problems with this I hardly know where to begin.

I've installed and uninstalled player version 10.3.181.34, using the player uninstaller, control panel and my uninstall program. Installed the player using the Player Download Center. I'm getting notices from IE 9 that 'an add-on has failed to run.' but nothing to tell just which ones not running. But since I'm having these problems with the player, I can safely assume that the player's the one. My greeting card program won't let me view a card I was trying to view before sending, it says 'To view this card you will need to upgrade Flash Player. There's a link to the player which I've also used, that failed to make the add-on active. I've chosen to disable the player, hoping this would fix the install, but no cigar.

I went to 'Find Flash Player version', and saw this: Content on this page requires a newer version of Adoble Flash Player. I went to IE 9 Manage add-ons, Currently loaded add-ons and Shockwave Flash Object's listed as Enable and ActiveX control. Version 10.3.181.34 . When I double clicked on the flash object I saw "you have approved this add-on to run on the following websites: Nothing's listed, the page is blank, and no place to add sites.

I've run the player's uninstall older versions tool and then reinstalled the player, that didn't help. I don't know what else to try so I'm hoping that someone here can tell me what I've done wrong and/or how to make the player install properly.

Forgive this long explaination, but I wanted to forstall any questions about, what have you tried to fix the problem.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Trouble installing Adobe Flash Player

Post by HansV »

This is what I see when I double-click the Shockwave Flash Object in Manage Add-Ons.
The * in the box indicates that all sites are allowed.
x690.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

That's basically what I see too, different names & numbers, the format is the same. Thanks for explaination about the asterik, I wondered what that meant. So, nothings wrong with this, but something is surely wrong with the flash player.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, you're not using the 64-bit version of IE9 perhaps? To check, select Help | About Internet Explorer.
This is the About window for the 32-bit version:
x691.png
And this is for the 64-bit version:
x692.png
The reason I ask is that you'd need a special version of Flash Player for 64-bit Internet Explorer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I seem to be using the 64-bit IE9, is that a good thing? On my Start Menu> All programs, I have Internet Explorer (64-bit) and just plain Internet Explorer.

I can bring up both of them, I had no idea I was running the 64-bit program. Which one is the best to use? The link in Quick Launch is for the 64-bit version and that's the one I've been running ever since I got this computer.

The only difference between the one you show and mine is that 64-bit Edition doesn't show up on mine and of course, the Product ID is different. Why is it missing and can I get it to show?

If it's alright to run the one I'm using, where do I get the player for 64-bit Internet Explorers?

Forgive me but I feel like stupid mini.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If Help | About Internet Explorer shows "64-bit Edition" next to the version number, you're running the 64-bit version. If not, you're running the 32-bit version.

The 64-bit version has many incompatibilities with existing software and websites, so in general, it is best to run the 32-bit version for now. The link to just Internet Explorer in the Start > All Programs menu is for the 32-bit version.

If you prefer to use the 64-bit version, there is a beta version of the Flash Player for it: Adobe Flash Player 11 Beta for Desktops. But I recommend using the standard, 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9 and the standard version of Flash Player.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

This is causing me more confusion. I don't see the 64-bit in About IE, so I'm running the 32-bit. If that's the case, why does my about look more like the 64-bit you showed?
I'll assume that the 32-bit browser is being used as of now and the player's latest version is also installed. Could the problem be that the Greeting Card program I'm running (Jacquie Lawson Greeting cards) is asking for the 64-bit. I'll contact the program and ask which one they're looking for. I sure hope this gets solved some time soon.

I almost fogot to ask Is the codename for the beta version code named 'Square'? I ask because I found on the web an article named Flash Player 64-bit operating systems: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The screenshot in my first reply is from the 32-bit version.

It's clear now that you're running the 32-bit version. That's fine. I'd stay away from the 64-bit version and the beta version of the 64-bit Flash Player (yes, it's code name is or was Square).
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I would use the Adobe Uninstall Tool to uninstall ALL versions of Flash listed. Then download the latest version directly from Adobe and attempt to reinstall it.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The screenshot in my first reply is from the 32-bit version.

It's clear now that you're running the 32-bit version. That's fine. I'd stay away from the 64-bit version and the beta version of the 64-bit Flash Player (yes, it's code name is or was Square).
Now that the version of Windows I'm running is 32-bit (I'm making a note so I won't forget), I don't want nor need to Beta version of the 64-bit Flash Player.

Thanks Hans for clearing this up.

Gloria E

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Gloria E wrote:...
Now that the version of Windows I'm running is 32-bit (I'm making a note so I won't forget), I don't want nor need to Beta version of the 64-bit Flash Player.
Gloria,

We don't know what version of Windows you are running.
We do know that you have a 32 bit version of Internet Explorer.
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

tedshemyers wrote:I would use the Adobe Uninstall Tool to uninstall ALL versions of Flash listed. Then download the latest version directly from Adobe and attempt to reinstall it.
I ran the uninstall tool and used your link to install the latest version of the Flash Player 10.3.181.34. I've installed this so many times I feel like we're old friends. After the install was complete I was taken to a page that IE could not display. I copied and pasted the URL into Google Chrome and the page said: Installation successful. You are now running Adobe Flash Player 10.3.181.34. :clapping: :cheers:

Thanks for the links, Ted.

Gloria E

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This sounds as though you have installed the Flash plugin, but you have NOT installed the ActiveX version of Flash, which is only used by Internet Explorer. Go back to the Adobe page and look for the ActiveX version and install that.
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:
Gloria E wrote:...
Gloria,

We don't know what version of Windows you are running.
We do know that you have a 32 bit version of Internet Explorer.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600).

I went back to my greeting card program and still got the notice that the latest Flash Player needed to be installed. I contacted them and asked why they couldn't use the version I just installed. Now I have wait until I hear from them with their explanation.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, let's attempt once more. Go to Troubleshoot Flash Player installation | Windows.
Click on "Known Issues":
x694.png
Click on "Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)":
x695.png
If you're asked whether you want to run or save the file, click the arrow next to Save and select Save As from the dropdown menu:
x696.png
Select a location for the download; it doesn't matter where but make a note of the location so that you'll be able to find it in Windows Explorer.
Then click Save.

Quit your browser.

Start Windows Explorer and navigate to the downloaded file, which is named install_flash_player_ax.exe.
Right-click it and select Properties from the context menu.
If there is a button labeled "Unblock" near the bottom of the Properties dialog, click that button, then click OK.
Right-click install_flash_player_ax.exe again and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu.
If you're asked whether you want to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.
Tick the check box that you agree with the conditions of the license agreement, then click Install.
When the installation has finished, the Install button will change to Done. Click it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:This sounds as though you have installed the Flash plugin, but you have NOT installed the ActiveX version of Flash, which is only used by Internet Explorer. Go back to the Adobe page and look for the ActiveX version and install that.
Do I really need both flash player versions? If IE only, uses the ActiveX version, why is the plugin needed?

In any case I now have Adobe Flash Player 10: plugin and ActiveX installed. If I need both, then every time I see an update for the Flash Player, I should install both versions, is that correct?

How will I know when updates are needed? Please answer all four of my questions.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The ActiveX version is needed for Internet Explorer, the Plugin for other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

If you only use one browser, you only need one version. If you switch between browsers, you need both.

If you keep both versions, you will need to update both of them. If you keep only one version, you will only need to update that version.

Flash Player will generally warn you if there is a new version.

If there is an important new version, it will usually be announced in our Other Applications forum. Non-essential minor updates might be skipped.

You can also use the free Secunia Personal Software Inspector - it'll alert you if there are security updates to installed software.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thank you Hans for your patience and answering my simple questions. I say simple because most users already know this, I'm not included in that group. I've had problems with the player for a long time, and I didn't know why, now I do.

I've seen and printed "Troubleshoot Flash Player Installation| Windows" and if I find that Flash PlayerActiveX has been installed incorrectly, I will follow the instructions. You see, I just installed the ActiveX version, but not the way you've suggested.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, let's attempt once more. Go to Troubleshoot Flash Player installation | Windows.
Click on "Known Issues":
x694.png
Click on "Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)":
x695.png
If you're asked whether you want to run or save the file, click the arrow next to Save and select Save As from the dropdown menu:
x696.png
Select a location for the download; it doesn't matter where but make a note of the location so that you'll be able to find it in Windows Explorer.
Then click Save.

Hans,

You'll be happy to know that due to your link "Troubleshoot Flash Player Installation|Windows" Flash Player has been fixed. I went to my Jacquie Lawson Greeting Cards site and was able to preview and send a card.
It only took me all day to fix it, but it was worth my time and effort.

Thank you so very much :cheers: :clapping: :fanfare:

Gloria E

Quit your browser.

Start Windows Explorer and navigate to the downloaded file, which is named install_flash_player_ax.exe.
Right-click it and select Properties from the context menu.
If there is a button labeled "Unblock" near the bottom of the Properties dialog, click that button, then click OK.
Right-click install_flash_player_ax.exe again and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu.
If you're asked whether you want to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.
Tick the check box that you agree with the conditions of the license agreement, then click Install.
When the installation has finished, the Install button will change to Done. Click it.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great! Glad you're able to use Flash again.
Best wishes,
Hans