Auto Detect

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Auto Detect

Post by Gloria E »

My Lexmark Printer support tried to Auto Detect the printer and failed. Upon contacting printer support I was informed by email that they could not advise me on making changes to my browser security settings. They said Auto Detect could be the reason for the failure.

My question is How to set Auto Detect using IE8?

I found an article on Microsoft TechNet that I do not understand what it was suggesting that I do to set it up. The article was titled: Using Automatic Configuration, Automatic Proxy, and Automatic Detection. :scratch:

Can someone assist me using plain, non-technical directions on how to do this, please?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Auto Detect

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:My Lexmark Printer support tried to Auto Detect the printer and failed. Upon contacting printer support I was informed by email that they could not advise me on making changes to my browser security settings. They said Auto Detect could be the reason for the failure.

My question is How to set Auto Detect using IE8?

I found an article on Microsoft TechNet that I do not understand what it was suggesting that I do to set it up. The article was titled: Using Automatic Configuration, Automatic Proxy, and Automatic Detection. :scratch:

Can someone assist me using plain, non-technical directions on how to do this, please?

Gloria E
Gloria,
What are you trying to accomplish here?
Is your printer not working?
Is this a new printer?
Are you trying to update the drivers?
I'm not sure what you mean by "auto detecting the printer."
More details, please.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

You have lots of questions for which I have answers.
Question 1 & 5 will use the same answer, which is -- Lexmark was going to install drivers for me but first they had to auto detect the printer, which they tried from their site.
Question 2 & 3: My printer's working fine, I've had a little over a year.

Auto Detect is when a site tries to connect to a users computer by remote control (at least, in this case that applies).

More Question? I'll answer as best I can.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:You have lots of questions for which I have answers.
Question 1 & 5 will use the same answer, which is -- Lexmark was going to install drivers for me but first they had to auto detect the printer, which they tried from their site.
Question 2 & 3: My printer's working fine, I've had a little over a year.

Auto Detect is when a site tries to connect to a users computer by remote control (at least, in this case that applies).

More Question? I'll answer as best I can.

Gloria E
If your printer is working fine and has been for over a year, then why was Lexmark trying to install drivers?
Auto detect sounds like REMOTE ASSISTANCE. Right click My Computer>Properties.
See screenshot to allow this.
Capture2-8-2010-7.33.42 PM.jpg
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

To tell you the truth, Vike. I really don't remember what I was trying to do. My printer talks to me and I think I was updating the driver to keep the new messages coming.

I have Remote Assistance set as your attachment shows, Lexmark could have been trying to take control of my computer too double check to see if I had the latest driver. If it's important I can revisit the site and let you know exactly what they were trying to do.
All of this is well and good, but it doesn't answer the question, does it?

Gloria E

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

Gloria are you trying to use your Lexmark on Windows 7? If so there should be drivers on their web page.
When I bought mine, it came with Windows Vista drivers, and Lexmark connected to me straight away and got it figured out.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:To tell you the truth, Vike. I really don't remember what I was trying to do. My printer talks to me and I think I was updating the driver to keep the new messages coming.

All of this is well and good, but it doesn't answer the question, does it?

Gloria E
VIKE???
Well, you haven't answered my questions either. :grin:
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

t8ntlikly wrote:Gloria are you trying to use your Lexmark on Windows 7? If so there should be drivers on their web page.
When I bought mine, it came with Windows Vista drivers, and Lexmark connected to me straight away and got it figured out.
No, my operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.

Gloria E

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
t8ntlikly wrote:Gloria are you trying to use your Lexmark on Windows 7? If so there should be drivers on their web page.
No, my operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.

Gloria E
Try UNinstalling the printer and then re-installing it with your most recent drivers.
BOB