Why only source code???

dasadler
5StarLounger

Why only source code???

Post by dasadler »

We receive email from people who sometimes send it out in bulk. When this happens, the TO: field is blank and all the recipients' email addresses are in the BCC: field.

Problem is, when we receive this email... say a group photo, all we we see is source code (or what we think is source code). When we ask the sender to resend, they send it directly to our email address and it comes in fine. We are told that we are the only ones having this problem.

Any ideas what it could be? We are using Outlook 2003 POP3 email with Windows 7.
Don

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Why only source code???

Post by John Gray »

Standard practice for bulk mailing (for us, at least) is to send the outgoing email TO: the sender, and BCC: all the email addresses of the real recipients.

Is this 'group' photo being sent within the email itself (in line) or as an attachment? What file type is it: JPEG? PNG? etc...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps your antivirus program causes this - can you turn off email scanning, even if only temporarily, to see if that makes a difference?
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

@John: The photo is a jpg and is an inline photo... embedded in the email, not attached. Copy & paste I imagine.

@Hans: wife's computer... no antivirus other than MS Defender.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, no idea then.
Best wishes,
Hans

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

I've seen this very occasionally with bulk mail. Maybe it's a fault in the mail server upstream from the sender (the mail server has to dispatch the messages to the individual BCCs)?

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I get this at work when the email system decides that this is a junk email and sends it to the junk folder. I do not know what that means, but I thought it might point someone in a direction. (We use Exchange and Outlook and this happened in Office 2003 and 2007)
Who will you Inspire today?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Since you are receiving as what appears to be source code, then you have a plain text copy.

Do you have the incoming email to be "Plain text"?

If I remember right at one time in earlier versions of Outlook, one had this option within EACH contact information pane.
Could be the sender at one time had this setting on your email address so they are sending just plain text.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

All good ideas... I will continue my quest and post back when/if I find the answer.

Thanks a lot for you help
Don