mouse can't select body text in Outlook 2007

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

mouse can't select body text in Outlook 2007

Post by stuck »

Recently I've being busy creating a message only to find the mouse will not work within the body of the message, i.e. you can't point and click, drag to select etc. You can still point and click and select etc. in the to/cc fields and the cursor keys will happily move the cursor around the body but the mouse has most definitely left the building and has no interest in the main body text. Restarting Outlook restores the mouse behaviour but obviously doesn't fix anything as at some random point in the future the problem reoccurs.

This morning it happened again so I went Googling and found that I'm not alone.
Although I'm using XP SP3 with Outlook 2007 this hit http://forums.techguy.org/business-appl ... -text.html gave me a clue and took me to this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791.

The cure suggested therein is to delete a whole reg key but if you do that it removes all your Word settings (i.e. your customisations made via in Word via clicking Office Button | Word Options. However on closer inspection of the key you can see one of the values is WordMail settings. I've removed just this one value (yes, I took a back up of the reg. key before I did this).

It's to early to say if this has fixed my problem as I've had to close and restart Outlook to get my mouse functionality back anyway but I'll keep an eye on this and report back eventually.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: mouse can't select body text in Outlook 2007

Post by HansV »

Thanks, it'd be useful to know if this corrects the problem. (I think you were right to delete only the WordMail settings; deleting the entire Data key for Word seems overkill for an Outlook problem)
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: mouse can't select body text in Outlook 2007

Post by stuck »

As yet the WordMail settings key has not reappeared in the registry, even though I've reopened both Outlook and Word since tinkering around.

The mouse problem was fairly random so it will be a while before I will be able to say whether or not this really is a cure or just snake oil :grin:

Ken