"Please type your user name and password"

jmt356
SilverLounger

"Please type your user name and password"

Post by jmt356 »

Occasionally, when sending an email through my Gmail account using Outlook, I get a pop-up message showing my server (smtp.gmail.com) and asking me for my User Name and Password. It almost always means bad news, because Outlook has my gmail email account's user name and password saved, so usually when I type them into that box and press OK, the box pops up again and again, even if I tick "Save this password in your password list."

I have usually found that I can get around this problem by cancelling out, then going into Tools | Email Accounts | View or Change, selecting the email account, clicking "Change ...," and then pressing "Test Account Settings." On the first try, all of the tests except for the Send email message usually pass, but on the second try, all of the tests pass. When they don't, restarting Outlook usually fixes the problem; when it doesn't, restarting the computer usually does.

Today, none of these solutions worked. I thought that perhaps my network administrator just installed a new firewall, but he said he didn't. Could the problem be that I sent around 15 emails this morning with attachments, and either Outlook or Google are blocking me becasue they think I'm a Spambot?

My non-Gmail emails work fine.

The error that Outlook gives me when I try the Test is:
"Send test email message: The specified server was found, but there was no reponse from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings ..."

I am sure these settings are correct as I used the SSL settings as Google instructs and anyway it always works except for when this occasional bug crops up.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: "Please type your user name and password"

Post by HansV »

Which port are you using for the outgoing server (SMTP)?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Port 465.

I don't think it is any of my settings. I have been using them for years. Just problem just occasionally crops up and (usually) goes away with restarting. But not this time ...
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it make a difference if you set the port for the outgoing server to 587 ?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I try it with port 587, not only does that same window asking me to log in pop up and I get the "Send test email message: The specified server was found, but there was no reponse from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings ..." error message, but I also get this error message:
"Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail server (SMTP) ..."
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, please set it back to 465. It looks like there is a connection problem on the Google side or somewhere between Google and you, not on your side.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

But I can log into Gmail via webmail (the Gmail.com). Can Google then be the problem?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know, John.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

jmt356 wrote:But I can log into Gmail via webmail (the Gmail.com). Can Google then be the problem?
Just because you can access Gmail via browser does not meant there is not a problem at Google's end. Browser access and SMTP access are two different things. You could be going to entirely different servers to start the process. I'd wait a while and try again. If it still does not work then I'd try looking at the Gmail forums.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

According to http://www.downornot.com/gmail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://isgmaildown.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, Gmail is up. Is anyone else using Gmail with Outlook also experiencing problems sending email through Outlook?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just found the problem:
On the Outgoing Server tab of the More Settings dialogue of the Gmail account, "Log on to incoming mail server" rather than "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" was checked. How did that happen? I had complete custody of my computer all day, so no one could have gone in there and changed it. I ran Avast to see if I had a varus that may have changed it, but Avast reports no viruses or other threats.
Regards,

JMT

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

jmt356 wrote:I just found the problem:
On the Outgoing Server tab of the More Settings dialogue of the Gmail account, "Log on to incoming mail server" rather than "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" was checked. How did that happen?
I wonder whether Outlook unchecked it after a certain number of failures? I'm not sure you'll ever know for sure.