IE 9 RTM

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

IE 9 RTM

Post by tedshemyers »

IE 9 RTM available as of midnight EST in the US. It will eventually be offered in Windows Update and is available by separate dowmload directly from Microsoft.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: IE 9 RTM

Post by JoeP »

Direct Microsoft download links:

Windows 7 x86

Windows 7 x64

Vista x86

Vista x64

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Note: JoeP's links are for the English language version of Internet Explorer 9 only. IE9 is available in over 30 other languages. See the link provided by tedshemeyers for these localized versions, and also if you have Windows Server 2008.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Windows 7 64-bit came with the 32- and 64-bit versions of IE8 pre-installed. Should I download and install both versions of IE9?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, you should only download and install the version for 64-bit Windows 7. This will install both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 9 on your PC. If you would download the version for 32-bit Windows 7, you'd get an error message when you try to install it.

The default version will be the 32-bit version, and you should stick with that for the moment. The 64-bit version has many incompatibilities (no Flash player, for example).
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Hans. It was Flash that I had in mind when I asked the question. Firefox is my default browser but I use IE8 32-bit on those few occasions when I do use IE. I may have missed it, so I won't be to harsh with Microsoft for not being very clear with what version to install.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I can't find the post right now but I read recently that the 64-bit version of IE9 has not been optimized to the level that the 32-bit version has. So, for the best performance and compatability use the 32-bit version. The 32-bit version is the default even for 64-bit Windows 7.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, performance of the 64-bit version of IE9 is not great, see Chrome 10 vs. Internet Explorer 9 Reconsidered.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I have finalized IE9 RTM and am very happy! Thanks JoeP for your help last night :-)
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Hey Jude wrote:I have finalized IE9 RTM and am very happy! Thanks JoeP for your help last night :-)
You're quite welcome. Glad to assist.

Joe
Joe

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I have just checked for updates @ 1930hrs GMT and none are available for IE9 RTM, not that I intend using it. Being an animal lover I'll stay with the 'fox.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Roderunner wrote:I have just checked for updates @ 1930hrs GMT and none are available for IE9 RTM, not that I intend using it. Being an animal lover I'll stay with the 'fox.
release to Windows Update almost alwyas lag behind the download being available from the Microsoft download site. Hence the direct links in the prior posts.

Joe
Joe

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I manually installed it on my laptop for testing, result = detested it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

IE 9 working like a charm. 32 Bit faster even than Chrome 11 beta. Blows FF away. I haven't used FF is a while and don't plan to now.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

tedshemyers wrote:IE 9 working like a charm. 32 Bit faster even than Chrome 11 beta. Blows FF away. I haven't used FF is a while and don't plan to now.
I concur whole-heartedly Ted :clapping: FF is a blur in the rear view mirror now :evilgrin:
JoeP wrote:I can't find the post right now but I read recently that the 64-bit version of IE9 has not been optimized to the level that the 32-bit version has. So, for the best performance and compatability use the 32-bit version. The 32-bit version is the default even for 64-bit Windows 7.
JoeP I have passed on your posting about using 32 bit for 64 bit machines to resolve the flash player incompatibility. Thank-you yet again :cheers:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... n-off.html

When using the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine, one friend followed the instructions in the link and turned off Active-X filtering. Open IE, click on the Tool gear/Safety/Active X Filtering and make sure it is off. Then watching videos with Adobe Flash Player works.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Flash player works fine in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer (8 or 9) on a 64-bit version of Windows. The problem arises when you run the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer (on a 64-bit version of Windows, naturally). Flash content such as the clock in the Lounge Portal or YouTube videos won't work. Not because of wrong settings but because there is currently no version of Flash Player that will work in 64-bit Internet Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

This guy couldn't get Flash Player to work at all even in the 32 bit version of IE RC so he uninstalled it. He installed the RTM and had the same issue so was disappointed, then discovered if he turned off the Active X Filtering, the YouTube videos and other flash sites work fine. He has been toying with it and can enable or disable Active X on particular sites so he is a happy camper now. Thanks for the info :-)

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

tedshemyers wrote:IE 9 working like a charm. 32 Bit faster even than Chrome 11 beta. Blows FF away. I haven't used FF is a while and don't plan to now.
No offence Ted, but MS took long enough to catch up with FF and version 4 is due soon.
gdpit_com_96762789_826.gif
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Roderunner wrote:
No offence Ted, but MS took long enough to catch up with FF and version 4 is due soon.
gdpit_com_96762789_826.gif
No offense taken. I gave up on FF in early 3 and have never looked back. I will not try v4. I am very pleased with IE 9 and Chrome 11 beta. Whichever browser an individual uses is strictly personal preference at this stage of the browser game. All seem to have similar features and similar speeds. I personally did not use many add ons when I did have FF, and do not feel the need to use many add ons now with my browsers. Flash, Last Pass, WOT, Java plug in, Windows Live helper, and that's about it.
Have a Great Day!
Ted