Adobe Flash Player add-on

jmt356
SilverLounger

Adobe Flash Player add-on

Post by jmt356 »

Yesterday, I received a message in my icon tray asking me to install an update that Adobe had for Adobe Reader. I chose to download and install it. Since then, I have gotten the yellow bar in IE telling me "This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from 'Adobe Systems Incorporated'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to install it, click here ..." half a dozen times. I already clicked on the bar and selected "Install this add-on for all users of this computer," probably a half a dozen times, but it keeps comeing back, especially when I visit certain web sites like Google Translate. I tried both clicking the "X" as well as installing it, but it keeps coming back. How do I get it to stop?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Adobe Flash Player add-on

Post by jmt356 »

I just went to shut down my computer and found a message stating "You have 4 installations, please do not unplug power source," so I let them run their course and be installed. Hopefully, one of those installations will fix the repeating prompt prompting me to install Adobe's update. On the one hand, I don't think it will; any programs needing to be installed would have been installed when Adobe prompted me to restart my computer yesterday. On the other hand, I think it will, since I just opened up Google translate and didn't get the add-in prompt.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Have a look in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet, you might find a reference to Adobe Download Manger. If you uninstall that then you might find updating Adobe products becomes less troublesome (NB usual health warning/your mileage may vary applies). I've always avoided using the Adobe DM but my copy of Acrobat 9 Pro still checks for updates and I get Flash updates.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I think updates for Flash Player, once installed, is managed here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... tml#118377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fourth panel in Global Settings, the Global Notifications Settings panel, it checks for new updates every 7th day, by default:
2011-03-11_A.png
(If you don't use or have any of the addresses to Adobe, Macromedia that links to the settings, just right-click anything Flashy in the browser, such as the Eileen's Lounge Clock on the Portal page, and select Global Settings. Information about, and links to the Settings Manager, are found here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

So when you see something similar to this on your Windows Desktop, it's the Flash Player setting for updates that has kicked in (but in your case you got the info. about updates within the browser window):
flash_UD.PNG
As I see it could be just a coincidence; that you, after the Adobe Reader update, got some hints about a new Flash Player version, they updated from 10.2.152.26 to 10.2.152.32 within quite a short time frame. And as mentioned above, Flash Player keeps its own update settings; and what you see in the tray (Notification Area) in Windows is the ARM looking for updates to the Reader and Acrobat software.

For Adobe Flash Player I would forget about the information bars in browsers, and perhaps even the pop-up on the Desktop, mentioned above etc. and download the setup files manually. I would start with uninstalling old files, so download the latest uninstaller as well. There are some good reasons for that, i.e. starting with an uninstallation. I recently installed Windows XP SP3, that is, the whole OS with the latest SP. And as we know, since the first day of XP, Microsoft includes a Flash Player ActiveX Control for its browser, IE. In the case of the latest SP, it includes the ActiveX Control from SP2, Flash Player 6.0 r79. So one would immediately get an update from Microsoft: 923789 Flash Player ActiveX 9.0.28; and that one is also quite old (MS06-069, Nov. 2006 for SP2 and SP3, for some reason it's not included in SP3), and perhaps there is a later one, but anyhow it's a different branch than the Adobe latest. So in my case I installed a Firefox (Fx) plugin, so that the latest uninstaller should find something, I then ran the uninstaller, and that cleaned both the Fx plugin and the old IE Flash Player ActiveX Control, that came with the OS. I could now install both the Fx and the IE players if I wanted, knowing that there is no old files around.

For best result, close all browser windows when uninstalling and installing. I usually don't restart the PC, but if you have had trouble with the updates perhaps that is the best approach, i.e. uninstall, restart, install.

It seems you have solved what you wanted now, but the above can be good for future updates. And as I read your first post, you downloaded an update for Reader, installed it and thus rebooted, that restart wouldn't include the later updates, would it? Anyhow, it's very simple to use the Flash install/uninstall files mentioned above.

And when you have updated your ActiveX Control (for IE), and possibly the plugin for Fx, you can check your version as it is recognized by web pages here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for Adobe DM etc. I think it's changed a bit, at least for the Reader software. I have Adobe Reader X (10.0.1); and as in the previous ver., I think, it's using the ARM (Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager), and there is no separate entry for that one in Add/Remove Programs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.