"Locate link browser" from Outlook

jmt356
SilverLounger

"Locate link browser" from Outlook

Post by jmt356 »

When I click on some links in my Outlook 2003 email, I get a window pop up that states "Locate link broswer." I then try to navigate to my copy of IE, but the closest I can get to is a shortcut I find for 64-bit IE in Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories. When I click on that shortcut, I get another message stating "Outlook cannot start the web browser for "C:\Users ... address..." The web address may be incorrect, or your web browser may not be properly installed."

Is this because I am not pointing Outlook to the correct file for IE? If so, how do I find it?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: "Locate link browser" from Outlook

Post by Leif »

You state "...some links..." - does this mean it works for some links?

Can you see what the link points to? If it begins with "outbind:\\" then the link itself is bad - nothing you can do about it.

Otherwise, see Office 2003 Outlook - "outbind" protocol - "Locate link browser" - Windows 7
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It does work for some links. For example, I accessed this page by clicking on the link in the Eileen's Lounge administrator's email.

The problematic link was pointing to http://www.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I think I was able to solve this. I found my IE file in C/Program Files/Internet Explorer. That simple. I don't know why typing "Internet Explorer" in the Windows Explorer search window didn't find it. It gave me some shortcuts buried deep in other folders that didn't point Outlook to the browser.
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:I don't know why typing "Internet Explorer" in the Windows Explorer search window didn't find it.
Because there is no file called 'Internet Explorer'! Windows Explorer search is not that clever and doesn't understand a description of the file. It needs to know the name of the file - or at least part of it - to be able to locate it. In this instance, it would be looking for 'iexplore.exe'.
Leif

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

jmt356 wrote:When I click on some links in my Outlook 2003 email, I get a window pop up that states "Locate link broswer."
This sometimes happens when Firefox is the default browser if it needs to perform another task before loading the web page. But then the page loads anyway, so it's confusing. I've never heard of this happening when IE was the default browser. Perhaps you need to refresh the settings by temporarily changing to a different default and then changing back to IE.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Leif wrote:
jmt356 wrote:I don't know why typing "Internet Explorer" in the Windows Explorer search window didn't find it.
Because there is no file called 'Internet Explorer'! Windows Explorer search is not that clever and doesn't understand a description of the file. It needs to know the name of the file - or at least part of it - to be able to locate it. In this instance, it would be looking for 'iexplore.exe'.
Yes, but there is a folder called "Internet Explorer" that contains iexplore.exe, and Windows Explorer should have been able to find that folder, and from there, I could have found iexplore.exe, but neither the file nor the folder turned up.

Oh well, at least now I know where all my programs are located.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are using Windows 7 unless you change the indexing scheme Windows Search does not index C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Finding "things" in non-indexed locations depends on where you start the search. If you regularly need to search those locations you should change the index settings.

Joe
Joe