Messages stuck in Outlook

jmt356
SilverLounger

Messages stuck in Outlook

Post by jmt356 »

Every couple of weeks, messages get stuck in my Outbox. Sometimes, I will go into Tools | Account Settings | Test Account Settings, and the send email test fails. Other times, like today, Outlook the test email gets sent fine, but nonetheless, messages are stuck in my Outbox. I try moving them to drafts, resending them, opening and closing Outlook before I get them to work. Sometimes, as a last resort, I restart my computer.

Yet today, I tried all of these things and still Outlook is unable to send these messages. Why??

JMT
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: Messages stuck in Outlook

Post by Leif »

Which version of Outlook?
What connection do you have? Exchange Server? Direct to ISP?
Any correlation between stuck emails such as size or recipient?
Leif

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I had a problem with sending Outlook emails. I went to Account Settings, Change.., More Setting, Advanced and
changed the outgoing server port from 25 to 587.
This worked perfectly for my Yahoo account but might work with another account. I assume it's because other
services on the computer are trying to use port 25.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Not knowing what version of Outlook you've got, can I suggest you try archiving some of your messages to clear the backlog ?
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

agibsonsw wrote:I had a problem with sending Outlook emails. I went to Account Settings, Change.., More Setting, Advanced and
changed the outgoing server port from 25 to 587.
This worked perfectly for my Yahoo account but might work with another account. I assume it's because other
services on the computer are trying to use port 25.
Andy.
The most likely reason for this change to make a difference is because there is a firewall between you and your email service provider that blocks the use of port 25. Originally the only port that was supported for SMTP was port 25. This was then changed so that port 25 is now intended for communication between mail servers and port 587 is intended for communication from mail clients to mail servers. This helps ISPs to combat SPAM by preventing incoming requests from end users on port 25.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you for that information. A quick question: Is there something special about port 80 as well? IIS seems to hijack it and I had to use port 81 with XAMPP (Apache Server)? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Port 80 is the standard HTTP port for servers; clients will send HTTP requests to this port.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In this particular post, I was running Outlook 2003 on Windows Vista. The problem was related to the size of the attachment. However, in the past, I have had text emails with no attachments get stuck. I think it may be a firewall issue. Whatever it is, it gets resolved most of the time with a restart.
Regards,

JMT