Office Update Concern

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Office Update Concern

Post by hlewton »

A day or so ago, when I opened Excel, I got a message that Office App Updates were ready. This message was inside Excel itself just directly above the column headings. I clicked it and soon got the message that the Office Apps had been updated. It did call the updates for "Office" Apps not Microsoft 365 Apps. This happened only on one machine and now that this same message has not been on any of my other computers, I am concerned if maybe I should not have allowed the update. Everything seems to be working fine but does anyone know if this was a legitimate update? If not, what can I do about it now?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Re: Office Update Concern

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 13:38
This happened only on one machine and now that this same message has not been on any of my other computers...
Check each machine's update settings:
File > Account > Office Updates...

It is possible the settings are different.
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will do that very soon.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I can't get to the computer I started this thread about for a couple hours, but thanks to you, I now feel better. I used another Win 11 machine, though I didn't really see a setting to automatically load Office updates, please see the attachment, I did choose to update the Update Now option and it did the same thing the other computer did. Thank you.
Office Updates.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Here is a Microsoft article that may answer your update questions - Overview of the update process for Microsoft 365 apps.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 16:40
Here is a Microsoft article that may answer your update questions - Overview of the update process for Microsoft 365 apps.
Thank you for that information. I didn't know that Microsoft 365 updates were no longer part of the normal Windows updates.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft/Office 365 updates have not been part of the WU infrastructure since the introduction of the click-to-run technology with Office 2010.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 18:42
Microsoft/Office 365 updates have not been part of the WU infrastructure since the introduction of the click-to-run technology with Office 2010.
WOW, I must have never gotten any updates, that I know of, unless they were automatically installed.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

They are automatically installed unless you disable the scheduled task or disable updates in one of the Office programs.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 14:52
They are automatically installed unless you disable the scheduled task or disable updates in one of the Office programs.
Thanks. I have never disabled that task. It was just surprising since I had never seen the message to update before when I created this thread.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Most likely just a matter of timing. The Office team has done a pretty good job of making the updates fairly unobtrusive.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes, I did run across something yesterday, in my searches about the subject, that mentioned how usually one wouldn't know an update had been made.
Regards,
hlewton