Confused About OneDrive

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Confused About OneDrive

Post by hlewton »

I didn’t think I used One Drive and really don’t want to use it. I created a Word document today and couldn’t find it in my Documents folder. Upon searching, I found it in OneDrive. Apparently somehow my Word app forgot I want to only save to my local computer’s Documents folder.

I copied the file to my local Documents folder and then deleted it from OneDrive. I was presented with a dialog box stating that deleting it in OneDrive would delete it everywhere. I was offered the option to go to OneDrive’s Recycle bin. I clicked that and was presented with what you see in the attachment with no apparent way of closing that gray information screen and actually accessing anything.

After correcting Word’s Save location I checked Excel’s, Access’s and PowerPoint’s Save location and they were all correct. So I really am confused why some files are being stored in OneDrive.

How do I get past that first grayed screen in OneDrive when trying to access the Recycle Bin? Even more importantly, how do I make my apps quit storing files in OneDrive’s folders? Also, if I wanted to delete files from OneDrive that are there now, how can I do that without deleting them from my local computer? I don't ever recall setting up any sync between the two locations and don't know how to turn it off if it is, indeed, active. I did read about turning off OneDrive but not at all sure how to sign into it or what my account is. Would it be my Microsoft 365's subscription? I know I have never paid for any OneDrive storage space and have no idea what my OneDrive Account would be.

Thanks
One drive.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Confused About OneDrive

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:30
...I really am confused why some files are being stored in OneDrive...
In Word (and all your other Office applications):
    click File | Options and select 'Save' from the left hand pane
    then, in the right hand pane, ensure the option 'Save to Computer by default' is ticked
If you don't have that option ticked then you are likely to find that regardless of what folder you have set as the 'Default local file location' (my italic emphasis on local) Office applications will save to OneDrive.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This thread moved from Windows General forum to Office General forum, because OneDrive is part of Microsoft Office
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 12:07
hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:30
...I really am confused why some files are being stored in OneDrive...
In Word (and all your other Office applications):
    click File | Options and select 'Save' from the left hand pane
    then, in the right hand pane, ensure the option 'Save to Computer by default' is ticked
If you don't have that option ticked then you are likely to find that regardless of what folder you have set as the 'Default local file location' (my italic emphasis on local) Office applications will save to OneDrive.

Ken
Thank you but I do have that option saved.Please see the attachment. It is that way in all the other Office apps as well. However, today when I created that Word document it was saved in OneDrive and the first Red arrow you see in the attachment had somehow become unchecked. I hope by rechecking that option it is fixed but I still need to find out how to get past that gray screen that OneDrive presented me when I tried to access its Recycle Bin.
Default Folder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 14:58
...when I created that Word document it was saved in OneDrive and the first Red arrow you see in the attachment had somehow become unchecked. I hope by rechecking that option it is fixed...
It should be.

As to how it became unticked, when did you take out your Microsoft 365 subscription? If you have only just subscribed to MS 365 I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the 'save locally' option became unticked because, as the screen shot in your original post shows, having a MS 365 subscription automatically gives you 1 TB of cloud storage, i.e. your OneDrive has a capacity of 1TB. It's in MS's interest to get you to use OneDrive since all though 1 TB is a lot of space, when you fill it they can then sell you more space. There's also probably some small print somewhere that allows them to trawl through your OneDrive data in order to be able to better target you with adverts.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with any of your questions about how to use OneDrive because I've never used it.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 15:33
hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 14:58
...when I created that Word document it was saved in OneDrive and the first Red arrow you see in the attachment had somehow become unchecked. I hope by rechecking that option it is fixed...
It should be.

As to how it became unticked, when did you take out your Microsoft 365 subscription? If you have only just subscribed to MS 365 I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the 'save locally' option became unticked because, as the screen shot in your original post shows, having a MS 365 subscription automatically gives you 1 TB of cloud storage, i.e. your OneDrive has a capacity of 1TB. It's in MS's interest to get you to use OneDrive since all though 1 TB is a lot of space, when you fill it they can then sell you more space. There's also probably some small print somewhere that allows them to trawl through your OneDrive data in order to be able to better target you with adverts.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with any of your questions about how to use OneDrive because I've never used it.

Ken
Thanks for the reply. I have had Office 365 and Microsoft 365 for quite a few years now, I'd say at least 10 or so. I too do not want to use OneDrive but don't know the safe way to disable it so I don't lose any of my files on my local computer. As mentioned above, I got a warning when deleting a file on OneDrive also deletes it wherever it is and sure enough it deleted from OneDrive and my local computer.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 15:49
...I have had Office 365 and Microsoft 365 for quite a few years now...
In which case, my prime suspect would be a recent Office update but I have no way of proving that.

As I said, I can't help you with using OneDrive so you'll either have to wait for another Lounger to chip in or use your internet search engine of choice and investigate whatever that turns up. There's bound to be tons of stuff on OneDrive out there.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use OneDrive for a small number of documents that I usually edit on my laptop, but I sometimes need to open on my phone.

I moved the OneDrive folder from the C: drive to my data drive, and then moved a few documents to there. When I try to save a new Word document it still defaults to my normal data location, not to OneDrive
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found out that it is apparently part of Microsoft 365 so I am going to sign in there and see what I can do to disable it.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:00
I found out that it is apparently part of Microsoft 365...
Err, yes, I told you that only a couple of posts earlier:
...as the screen shot in your original post shows, having a MS 365 subscription automatically gives you 1 TB of cloud storage, i.e. your OneDrive has a capacity of 1TB...
By the way, Office 365 was rebranded as Microsoft 365 way back in 2020, i.e. they are the same thing so, unless you have somehow got two subscriptions linked to two different MS Accounts, if you are signed into Office 365, you will already be signed into MS 365.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:11

Err, yes, I told you that only a couple of posts earlier:
Yes you did but I wasn't sure then or now until I try to access it if it uses my Microsoft 365 password. I believe it does but I haven't had the chance to check that out yet. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
stuck wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:11
...as the screen shot in your original post shows, having a MS 365 subscription automatically gives you 1 TB of cloud storage, i.e. your OneDrive has a capacity of 1TB...
Yes and that is where I am still stuck until I get into my Microsoft account because I cannot find a way to get past the grayed out screen to any of OneDrive's settings.
stuck}By the way, [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_365 wrote:Office 365 was rebranded as Microsoft 365 way back in 2020[/url], i.e. they are the same thing so, unless you have somehow got two subscriptions linked to two different MS Accounts, if you are signed into Office 365, you will already be signed into MS 365.

Ken
I only have 1 account, thank goodness.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:31
...I cannot find a way to get past the grayed out screen to any of OneDrive's settings...
It makes sense that you can't get at any of OneDrives' setting if you are not logged into your MS 365 account. OneDrive is a cloud feature so you need to be logged in to use it.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 19:41
hlewton wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:31
...I cannot find a way to get past the grayed out screen to any of OneDrive's settings...
It makes sense that you can't get at any of OneDrives' setting if you are not logged into your MS 365 account. OneDrive is a cloud feature so you need to be logged in to use it.

Ken
Agreed but I am and was signed in. I clicked my Hotmail account desktop shortcut, which is the email that is used for my Microsoft 365 account, and it took me directly into my account with out having to sign in. I managed to get to OneDrive and see the file I deleted today in its Recycle bin but I still did not figure out how to stop it from syncing. I just found this;
Can you stop OneDrive from syncing everything?
On the Account tab, click Choose folders. In the Sync your OneDrive files to this PC box, check and uncheck the box at Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive. (The first check selects all the boxes, then the uncheck clears them all.) But I haven't had the chance yet to try it. I will soon. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

A little OT: "Welcome to the premium experience" gives me the same feelings as "Welcome to Westworld".....
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 15:16
...the same feelings as "Welcome to Westworld".....
:laugh: