Avery Way Observatory Web Site

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Avery Way Observatory Web Site

Post by Graeme »

My Avery Way Observatory Web Site is now up and running! I moved away from the initial HTML and CSS coded version and put the images on Google Sites due mainly to the cost of hosting. (Don't tell the proper programmers here!) It has restrictions but it does do the job of getting my images out there and it does it for free! The only cost is the domain for just £10 per annum.

Before too many people see the finished product, if anyone is interested, would Loungers like to check it out and report back with a list of any typos, formatting errors and general comments?

The site can be found here:

www.averywayobservatory.co.uk

Don't expect too much! But it does the job and I can get on with the Observatory build.

Thanks

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Avery Way Observatory Web Site

Post by HansV »

Looks great!

(You even managed to capture Pluto! :thumbup:)
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Hans

There are a bunch of non recent images that Loungers haven't seen. I was quite chuffed to have captured Pluto.

I still have some work to do on the wordy stuff but I'm glad it's out there now!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:38
Don't expect too much! But it does the job and I can get on with the Observatory build.
Hello Graeme.

Well done, that man!
I took a quick look, not in depth, and the images are great. I note too an overabundance (for me) of technical data with the images, but I can grow into that with the right mentor.
As for the construction, I just LOVE the idea that you have probably tens of thousands of pounds/euros/dollars sunk into equipment, and to sink a hole aligned with True North you use - a stick shoved into the ground! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
My Avery Way Observatory Web Site is now up and running!
One quick note: I searched for "Avery Way Observatory Web Site" and your Eileen's Lounge post shows up, so the bots have done their job, but your web site does not [yet] show up in its own right.
Have you set a target date by which you can expect the site to show up with specific keywords?
Cheers, Chris

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 13:54
Graeme wrote:
I just LOVE the idea that you have probably tens of thousands of pounds/euros/dollars sunk into equipment,

I wish!

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 13:54
and to sink a hole aligned with True North you use - a stick shoved into the ground! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

If it was good enough for the Greeks to prove that the earth is a sphere with sticks in the ground casting shadows, then it's good enough for me to ensure my telescope is pointing in the right direction!

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Graeme wrote:
I moved away from the initial HTML and CSS coded version and put the images on Google Sites due mainly to the cost of hosting. (Don't tell the proper programmers here!)
What the heck is the point of telling others to not do it if you're doing a grand job of telling them yourself? :laugh:

Aaanyway I had a look at it 😊
It works, only if I turn on Google static, which I don't like but I made an exception of course 😇
It looks clean and it works! That must have been quite the job. Fun to add more now, right? Enjoy your work 😊
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

LineLaline wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 16:37
Graeme wrote:
I moved away from the initial HTML and CSS coded version and put the images on Google Sites due mainly to the cost of hosting. (Don't tell the proper programmers here!)
It works, only if I turn on Google static, which I don't like but I made an exception of course 😇
It looks clean and it works! That must have been quite the job. Fun to add more now, right? Enjoy your work 😊
ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 14:01
Graeme wrote:
My Avery Way Observatory Web Site is now up and running!
One quick note: I searched for "Avery Way Observatory Web Site" and your Eileen's Lounge post shows up, so the bots have done their job, but your web site does not [yet] show up in its own right.
Have you set a target date by which you can expect the site to show up with specific keywords?
Cheers, Chris

I switched off "appear in search results" until a few people have had a look through it. I need to change some stuff but it could go live now if no one can think of a reason why not!

What's Google static?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 19:22
... but it could go live now if no one can think of a reason why not!
If I were you, I'd go live in the New Year. It's good enough for the rest of this year, though. :clapping:
Cheers, Chris

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Google static can be anything that's needed to make something work if you use their services. In this case the menu didn't work without it, it can also not show images in other cases. It can also enable Google to follow visitors. It's basically a Google domain and you can find more information on it if you search for 'gstatic.com'.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

LineLaline wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 16:10
Google static... ...the menu didn't work without it...
Interesting, I use uBlock Origin in Firefox and, if I've understand it correctly, it blocks gtatic.com (and other stuff) yet Graeme's site appears to work as intended for me.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I doubt that uBlock Origin blocks gstatic.com.
I have long ago set gstatic.com to Trusted in NoScript in Firefox. Without it, many sites don't work correctly.
Best wishes,
Hans

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

stuck wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 17:15
LineLaline wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 16:10
Google static... ...the menu didn't work without it...
Interesting, I use uBlock Origin in Firefox and, if I've understand it correctly, it blocks gtatic.com (and other stuff) yet Graeme's site appears to work as intended for me.

Ken
How interesting!
I also use Noscript: https://noscript.net
But the force is strong, in that one.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

On further investigation, I think my understanding is flawed, i.e. Hans is right - again :grin:

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

This is all a bit too esoteric for me! I would say though, Gstatic was probably the cause of my DVT!

So as long as Google Static is not something that people generally have switched off then presumably clicking or typing the link will open the site?

There is a problem with two pages not being indexed because the site publishes to sites.google.com/view and then redirects to the bought domain url. But it should sort itself out after the Google crawlers have done their thing.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The site works fine. Visitors who use a script blocker such as NoScript will know how to enable JavaScript for your site, others will just breeze through.
Best wishes,
Hans

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Graeme wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 09:25
This is all a bit too esoteric for me! I would say though, Gstatic was probably the cause of my DVT!

So as long as Google Static is not something that people generally have switched off then presumably clicking or typing the link will open the site?

There is a problem with two pages not being indexed because the site publishes to sites.google.com/view and then redirects to the bought domain url. But it should sort itself out after the Google crawlers have done their thing.
It will be fine, Graeme! As Hans pointed out: people who disable scripts will know what to do, and the ones who don't know about such things will simply see it all in its intended glory! Really, it's going to be fine 😊

* Edited because of typo 'Greame' instead of 'Graeme'.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

:cheers: