wondering if emails from facebook are genuine

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

wondering if emails from facebook are genuine

Post by stuck »

I have a FB account and I do log into it on an infrequent basis. The last time I posted something would be many years ago but I have used Messenger within living memory.

This morning I got two emails from 'support.facebook.com'. They arrived only 3 mins apart. The first message said they were reviewing a profile that had been reported as someone pretending to be me to see if it was me. The second message said they'd done that and the reported profile wasn't me.

Neither message contained any links, they were both just text, i.e.they don't appear to be a phishing attempt - unless perhaps they are enticing me to reply, which I won't do.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: wondering if emails from facebook are genuine

Post by HansV »

Can you check the email headers to see if the messages really come from facebook.com?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect these are genuine. Phishers borrow pictures and names from Facebook, and one of your friends may have reported a fake account that had done this.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 11:07
...one of your friends may have reported a fake account...
I've only got 14 'friends' in FB and only three or four of them seem to actually use FB. I guess I could contact those people outside of FB to ask if they made a report.

Thanks,

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I would just ignore this. What difference would it make if you found out?
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Not sure, give comfort perhaps?, that not everyone using FB is gullible and that are at least some people thinking about the stuff that FB feeds to them?

Ken

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Someone I know sent me a friend request on FB even though we were already friends. That was obviously bogus. This person had no profile picture and I sent my friend a text with a screenshot. Right after that the bougus profile was using my friend's profile picture. I sent another text with screenshot. And warned they should change password, access to pictures and of course, sigh, the friends list. Because they have everything set to public, which means I prefer to not react too often. And of course: they should tell Facebook. A while after that the profile picture had gone. Facebook does research it, no idea when. But they usually are fast with this so, I think the messages are legit.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

LineLaline wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 03:06
...Facebook does research it, no idea when. But they usually are fast with this so, I think the messages are legit.
Thanks for this.

Ken

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

You're welcome 😊
Ceci n'est pas une signature.